Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Hawaii pt. 1

So here's the long awaited Hawaii post with enough pictures to crash your little pcs so be patient, sit back, grab a coke zero, and let these load up. :)

After our flight over to Oahu, where it was pouring rain when we arrived, we had a short layover and met up with the other couple we went with as well. We had previously planned to go see Pearl Harbor and grab a bite to eat in Waikiki. We grabbed our rental car and got a free upgrade to a Chrysler 300m instead of a ford focus. YES! All you have to do is ask. Seriously, it worked for us. Though I have seen Pearl Harbor before, it's always sobering to see it and this time was no different. It is eerie and they have a movie and tour of the memorial. It was a great part of our trip and I'm glad we went to see it again.

Photobucket

Oil still leaks up from the Arizona, resting on the ocean floor.

Photobucket

The memorial from a distance.

Photobucket

In memory of those who lost their lives there.

Photobucket

Riding out to the memorial.

Photobucket

The sunset in Waikiki where we got dinner and walked around for a little bit before we had to take our hopper flight over to Kauai, where it wasn't raining!

After traveling for over 21 hours and not sleeping, we were all exhausted. We decided to sleep in and awoke to a wonderful sunny day. We decided to go to a Farmer's market, see the local lighthouse and do some grocery shopping and 'regain our bearings' (Mr. R's favorite saying...)

Photobucket

Here is the Kilauea Lighthouse. It was gorgeous. At the farmers market we got some delicious salsa, a wonderful organic pineapple and some banana bread. We stopped at a few beaches that day and just saw a few sights before going grocery shopping.

Photobucket

Stopping at a Beach along the road for some tanning, aka where I got fried the first day. Angel Pride! (Sadly, they are not doing so well and the couple we were with on the trip loves the Mariners, who did the Angels lose to the entire trip? THE MARINERS. BOO!) That night we decided to go to the Hanalei Dolphin for dinner, which was WONDERFUL and I would have to say my favorite place to eat on the island during this trip.

Photobucket

Can't you tell Mr. R loves taking pictures?

Photobucket

HUNGRY! We are right by the Hanalei River. Many choose to kayak up the river, but we all know the T-rex arms wouldn't handle that well.

The next morning was Easter, and we decided to go to an early sunrise service on the beach pier in Hanalei. It was hard to get up early but it was worth it and gorgeous. How many times in your life can you say you've gone to Easter service in Kauai on a beach? After church we stopped by the overlook that was right across the main street from where we were staying.

Photobucket

It overlooks the Hanalei taro fields and the mountains of Hanalei where there are tons of beautiful waterfalls. It was a nice warm day so we went to the beach...

Photobucket

The next day we wanted to go and see the other side of the island (Poipu) since we were staying on the Princeville side, and we wanted to see Waiema Canyon. This was an amazing day of sightseeing and driving. We also hiked to a waterfall.

Photobucket

The Canyon. It's like a mini grand canyon.

Photobucket

The main lookout point where all the tourists go.

Photobucket

Overlooking the Canyon.

Photobucket

First of the waterfalls we visited along the hike. The book we were following told us it was moderately strenuous.

Photobucket

Well it was downhill one way and uphill the other way. Easy on the way down and HARD on the way up was a better description. Overall it was about 3 miles round trip. Claude went along for the hike!

Photobucket

A view from the end of the hike, we are standing on top of a waterfall.

Photobucket

On the edge by the waterfall! It was a LONG way down

Photobucket

The pegs got me there :)

Photobucket

Overall I would have to say that one of my favorite things that we did on our trip was the hike. It was something that I wouldn't normally do and I really enjoyed it, even though the way up was a little tough. I realized I need to work my quads and calves more! :) I love going on hikes and am going to try to go on more around my home as well. It's a great workout and so refreshing.

We had great weather while we were there and it was so relaxing and nice to be 'away'. Even though it rained at night and halfway through our last day, it wasn't a big deal. Kauai is my favorite island of the Hawaiian chain by far. It is so lush and really is very tropical. When I think of Hawaii, and how I always thought it would be, I always think of Kauai.

Tomorrow will be the other post with all the other pictures! :) Stay tuned!

Well it's still blazing hot here in CA. I don't know where this hot weather came from, but this morning on my run I was melting like a popsicle on a hot August day. It was only 6:30 in the morning. Not good. But, this morning I ran 3 miles and ran stairs in the middle. 75 stairs 5 times. I can already feel it in my quads and calves. Tonight Mr. R and I are going out to dinner to celebrate our one year and six month anniversary. Normally I don't celebrate anniversaries or anything, but it's fun and I got him a gift for no reason so now I have the opportunity to give it to him. I LOVE giving gifts. It's my thing I think. And don't worry, we are only going to CHICK-FIL-A!!!! Which is my favorite place, or possibly we might go to The Counter. Another great place. There are neither by my house and both by his, so I love going down to his place and getting chickfila for dinner.

I'm getting my endurance back! Just like you all said I would. Thanks for the encouraging words while I was in my rut. I am getting nervous about the marathon, but I know going in with the non-competitive mindset will be best for me for my first marathon and then afterwards I can take it from there and see what I want to do with races and different distances. I know I will be able to finish. I have a 20 miler scheduled for this weekend and once I've done that I know I will be set to go.

Hope everyone has a wonderful day!

xoxo

50 comments:

Adventures in Newlywed said...

Wow, that looks like so much fun! Absolutely beautiful scenery, I can't wait to go soon!

anonymous said...

those pictures are gorgeous and so are you =) happy 1 year and six months to!

Perfectly Imperfect said...

wow. jealous. love that i'm looking at these from behind my desk!!! hope you have a great nite and happy anniversary!!

No Longer Using said...

WOW! what a great trip-- LOVE the pictures and the recap!!!!!!!!!! iwanna go! :) i think this is such a wonderful thing to do with your guy and you guys are freaking photogenic!!!

Alisa said...

I heart Kauai too! We stayed on the Poipu side but drove all over the place. I've only been to Kauai once but the other islands several times.

We kayaked a river and hiked to a waterfall when we were there it was so pretty, it poured that day but was still totally warm!

My favorite spot on Kauai was hiking past Princeville, along the Na Pali coast. Definitely the prettiest part of the island. If we're ever in Hawaii again, I would so be down for one of the booze cruises that cruises along that part of the island.

J said...

Love the pictures! I want to go see Pearl Harbor so badly! I love your bathing suit in that one picture - the one with orange! Happy anniversary! I love giving gifts too, I love to see peoples reactions when they get something!

Anonymous said...

beautiful pics! the hike looks amazing! happy anniversary! hehe :)

Lucky in Love said...

It looks absolutely gorgeous there! What a wonderful trip! I can't wait to see more :)

I'm so glad you are getting your endurance back. I didn't worry about you one bit though :) You're a trooper!

LeAnna said...

Oh, I am SO jealous! Looks like you had a great time and all of the picture are beautiful! I want to go to Hawaii so bad, but that want be happening anytime soon. Thanks for sharing.

Oh, and Happy 18 months! :)

Anonymous said...

Wow- looks like an amazing trip!

Anonymous said...

Great photos! I'm so jealous... and hiking is great cross training. There are some great canyons down in the OC and up in Malibu to trail run or hike.

Abbie said...

Look at you and your cuteness! Love all of your great dresses. Looks like so much fun!

** I wish I had gone to Denver on Sunday, not Saturday, because I missed my Chick-fil-A run!

ShutUpandRun said...

Beautiful photos. Never been to Hawaii, but one day....

Enjoy Chick Fil A. Also one of my faves (except they don't serve wine). Happy anniversary!

Tara Gibson said...

LOVE the pics! Makes me wanna go back soooo bad!

LyndsAU said...

Those pictures are great!! You look amazing! I have that bathing suit that's orange blue and white :) I love it!
Happy 1 yr 6 mo. :) Have fun tonight! Can't wait to see more pics.

Nicole said...

I LOVE the pics! I'm SOO jealous! I can not WAIT to go to Hawaii! You and Mr. R are so cute together! He looks like he enjoys taking pictures as much as my boyfriend does. HA HA HA

Denise said...

Beautiful pictures! Sounds like a great trip!!

Anonymous said...

I love the pictures! Gorgeous! I love all of your outfits as well!

Amy said...

Beautiful, beautiful photos! You both look so cute and happy :)

Candice said...

My internet is breaking down on me so I couldn't get the pictures to load...sad! Either way I enjoyed reading about your trip, and I'm glad you had such a great time! Good luck on your 20 miler! I just did mine the week before last, and we run our marathon this weekend! You can do it!

Anonymous said...

love all the pictures!!! great post, looks like so much fun. im jealous.

Felice Devine said...

Terrific pics! I was envious before, I'm more so now! ;-)

Glad you are getting your endurance back, too.

The Shabby Princess said...

Glad you had a nice time!! I LOVE Kauai too--we honeymooned there and I would LOVE to go back, but, flights from Dallas are not cheap. My sister in law lived on Oahu for 3 years and loved it--she's trying to figure out how to get back there! Ha.

Have a great anniversary dinner!! Chic Fil A is awesome.

Aron said...

hawaii!!!! i love love love it there. i havent been to kauai yet but the next time we go we are going there!!! looks like it was an amazing time :)

omgosh what is with this weather? i have been running in the morning too because its too HOT after work! yay for getting your endurance back!!! SD will be SO FUN!

Mojito Maven said...

ok these pictures are awesome...you look so beautiful. sigh, i'm jealous!

Marathon Maritza said...

Beautiful pictures!!! Looks like you had an absolute blast!

Yay!

(Sorry you're back at work now.)

The Rest is Still Unwritten said...

Hey! I came over from Mrs. Jimmy Choos' page! Love the Hawaii pictures! I just got back from Maui myself...still haven't posted many pictures though.

kristen said...

Thanks for the pics. I agree - Kaui is my absoulute FAVORITE island. I think my hubby and I will go back for my graduation present.

p.s. GO MARINERS!!

Unknown said...

Ha, you didn't crash my machine...oh, wait...#$%#

I love the photos!

Susan said...

Gorgeous pictures!! I definitely want to go to Pearl Harbor (and the rest of Hawaii!) one day.

Happy anniversary!

Milltini said...

it all looks amazing! thanks for sharing some pictures!

Sarah said...

O my goodness your pics are beautiful I want to go. Your legs are in super good shape by the way.. I hope that mine will look like that when I get more into running long distances

aNd! said...

I have that almost exact same picture of the lighthouse, lol. Kauai is my favorite of the islands so far. I hope to visit Mauai next. Not too impressed with Oahu.

RunToTheFinish said...

ohh how beautiful! i haven't ever been to Hawaii but this is yet another post to make me want to go.

i love the self portraits we do lots of those!

RoadBunner said...

Awesome photos. You have totally made me homesick.

Melissa @ I Pick Pretty said...

Gorgeous! And you two are stunning yourselves.

Happy half-anniversary!

That Pink Girl said...

Gorgeous! Looks like y'all had an amazing time!

Marlene said...

Love the pics so far! That looks like a beautiful place. The hike sure looks worth it - although I feel a little queasy looking at the one from the top!

Wearing Mascara said...

A few of things:

- I'm jealous
- I love how you said to drink a coke zero as the pics loaded.. it's my fave (oh and the pics loaded nicely for me!)
- I'm a huge fan of big sunglasses and I love yours
- The pictures are amazing and you look SO happy :-)

xoxo

Sharon said...

Your trip looks amazing! What breathtaking pictures. Thanks for sharing the pics... you guys are such a cute couple :-)

Good luck on the 20 miler! I have no doubt in my mind that you will rock it, girl :-)

Kristen said...

Beautiful pics - can't wait to read more!

I have never been to Kauai, other islands, but not Kauai - someday! :)

Glenn Jones said...

Grat pics Danica! Looks like you had a wonderful time.

Emily said...

Love all your pictures from Hawaii-seriously I am sitting at my desk daydreaming about going there :) Glad you had a good time!

Shannon said...

I was just in Kauai last week too and went to the exact same places, so funny! Your pictures are beautiful and definitely make me miss the islands!

Blog Lady said...

Ohhhhhh, how beautiful Danica!!!!!

Kelli said...

Your pictures are amazing!! :)

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous pics!!! Chick-Fil-A is my fave, too. I could live on their spicy cool wraps and sweet tea. Also, I love your sunglasses as well! Mine just broke so now I'm in the market for a new pair. --Bonnie

Joey said...

i went to the USS Arizona memorial when I was in Hawaii too. It is really moving.

Oh and go mariners!

Unknown said...

Beautiful beautiful pics, thanks for sharing your vacay with us!

Run For Life said...

What gorgeous pictures! I also love the shoes you're wearing in the river picture.