Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Car Washes and Deep Thougts

So this morning, Baby Koo got a wash. That was the exciting thing ever since it's been misty/drizzly lately, she was VERY dirty. I was pretty excited as you can tell.

I tried to run this morning and my barking cough didn't like my breathing through my mouth thing, so I barked my way back home. I shall try again tomorrow morning. I feel like my energy is coming back now though, which is good. Last night I drank some bomb wine with the roommate and we discussed life. It was wonderful.

So there's no real transition that works well but I feel compelled to post about what is going on over in Iran. Every night on Twitter and through some new sources I see more and more destruction and people standing up for what they believe in. It has reminded me that we are SO blessed to live in a country where we can talk about anything we want, can find information we want, and do whatever we want. Seriously, seeing people who would die for a cause blows my mind.

I think I began to reflect on this and for some reason, those pictures and those people, really have touched my heart and made me appreciate what I have today. I can get out of bed and get dressed in whatever clothes I want. I can drive my car to work and I'm not scared for my life. I get paid and can talk about whatever I want all day long. I can even write whatever I want on the Internet. Whether you agree with my opinions and thoughts or not, I can still say them and not fear for my life.

It's amazing that some people don't have what we take for granted every day. Right now my stomach is grumbling and I'm thinking about lunch. Some people don't even know when their next meal will be. We are so fortunate to be able to eat food, have computers, and have technology. My biggest fear is that my iPhone won't be here on Friday and I'll have to wait until Monday to get it. How materialistic am I? It's crazy to think that some people are fearing for their lives for trying to get out true news stories from Iran, or are trying to let their voice be heard. It's so easy to take things for granted, like the fact that you can read this post, but man, some things just humble you. I guess that's what the election did for me in Iran.

So whatever you do today, remember how great it is to live in a free country. Be thankful that you have life, liberty and can purse happiness. Also, if you want, you can pray for the people in Iran. Pray for their government and pray that they can survive this time of turmoil.

xoxo

27 comments:

Girl in Carolina said...

GREAT post chica. What a great reminder! We take so much for granted here and we are SO blessed.

Love the pic..you are a nut! =)

xoxo!

Felice Devine said...

You are right, Danica. We should all take the time to be grateful for what we have. So many people aren't as fortunate.

Ms. V. said...

Beautiful.

Gina Harris said...

Amen! What a great post. Thanks for the reminder!

Gina

Glenn Jones said...

Being married to an IranianN we're watching thing pretty closely.

Right now I'm amazed they haven't kicked the media out and gone Tianamen Square on the protesters.
We are watching a revolution play out on the Internet. Pretty amazing.

B.o.B. said...

awesome reminder. thanks for the post. today is a day that i needed it!

Billy said...

Amen. :)

carpeviam said...

Deep Thoughts with Chic Runner. Very nice. I agree with everything you've said. My best friend won't allow his daughter to say, "I'm starving," because there really are people in the world who starve. He explained to her that with all the food in their house, she will never be in need or starve for food as some will. It's made me rethink certain things I say.

Marlene said...

Good post. It's imortant to remember how fortunate we are sometimes.

(I need a car wash BAD!)

X-Country2 said...

Great post. Some days I need a good perspective kick in the teeth.

Melissa @ I Pick Pretty said...

Amen, sista! Very true.

On a far more superficial note, I adore those sunglasses you're wearing! That kelly green looks fabulous on you too.

Kristin @ The Southern Summer said...

Good thoughts.

I think it is equally important to remember those who fight and die for us every day, so that we CAN be free. More often than not we forget about the men and women in uniform unless we know someone who is serving.

(Not suggesting you're not thinking about them, just wanted to point this out :)

Last night, the most important thing to me was that I could watch Real Housewives of NJ while checking Twitter on my iPhone...but to those still serving overseas, they may not get to a computer for months, let alone watch TV or sleep in a comfy bed.

It's amazing what we actually take for granted and its so important to never forget what we have.

Thanks for posting this, it is great to take stock of our freedoms every now and then and to remember to thanks those who give them to us.

:)

Christy said...

I'm a military spouse and I appreciate you thinking of our guys over there. Thank you for seeing the sacrifice!

J said...

We really are so lucky. No matter what happens with the economy and stuff, we are so lucky to live here and have all the freedoms that we have!

Oz Runner said...

great post...we are so spoiled and there are so many things we take for granted in this country...we are truly so blessed...good reminder of what a great country we live in, and just before Independence Day

Alisa said...

So TRUE! I was all flustered today about my iphone battery thing and then it crashed...but really I'm lucky to have a job, a place to live and family/friends that love me.

CNB said...

I haven't seen my husband in over three months and have four more to go. We haven't had a real conversation in that time either. My son and I miss him every day. I don't mention any of the above to complain. But really to say that it is his honor, (as well as mine) to make these sacrifices to protect the rights that we all so freely enjoy.

jlc said...

i LOVE that you call her Baby Koo... i have yet a name for the Jetta... hmmm any suggestions??

Loving your sunglasses too!!

joyRuN said...

Excellent post & so very true.

Mike said...

We ARE fortunate, especially to the extent our parents, grandparents, etc., had the courage and foresight to get the hell out of those countries and come here.

Denise said...

I just left you a comment because I thought you hadn't posted in 2 weeks...I haven't been getting your updates in my blog roll thingy. What the heck?

Perfectly Imperfect said...

very well said chica. i've been obsessed with clothes this week (ok every week) and need this reminder sometimes.

awesome sunglasses by the way..

Nicole said...

I love this post! I am proud to be an american! We are so fortunate and we all take for granted what we are blessed with. I thank god every day for giving me the life i've got. :)

p.s. cute pic... uhh love the sun glasses!!!

Unknown said...

The election in Iran is quite the wake-up call. My father and his family fled the revolution in Iran back in the 70s and I never could imagine what it must have been like..seeing all this on the news makes me realize how awful and hard it must have been for them.

Melissa Marie Head said...

Wow great post and I couldn't agree more. After working for several years in the middle east and in the middle of a war I quickly realized how lucky we are in the US. So many take this for granted, I even do at times. Thanks for the reminder.

kymberli q. said...

Such a great post! Sooo true, Danica!

Anonymous said...

Hey there. Twitter will not let me DM you, but I'd love for you to add my blog to your blogroll! www.k8mc.wordpress.com - thanks!!