Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Nuun is tasty.

I am trying to stick with the Tuesday Reviews of my favorite products that I love because I want more people to know about them. Alas, today I wanted to talk about the wonders of a little tablet called Nuun. Nuun is a delicious form of hydration that I tried out during my marathon training and I really liked it. First off, the taste is MUCH better and not overly sugary and overwhelming when running. They have pleasant flavors that really taste good and are refreshing. I really like their tri-berry flavor.

Nuun is a product that helps you stay away from dehydration. Nuun produces a hypotonic solution so that your body will absorb Nuun faster than the leading “sports drinks” or even water alone. Your body is therefore, able to restore optimal water and electrolyte balance more quickly. When drinking Nuun I have never felt dehydrated on a run at all. I have also never gotten an upset stomach off drinking Nuun either.

Another important aspect of hydration that Nuun provides is the electrolyte count (or sodium). Nuun provides 700mg of sodium for every litre of drink - this amount, in addition to the other critical electrolytes contained in every Nuun tablet, ensures that you are adequately replenishing your body’s stores to help you perform at your best, and stay healthy.

Though many people say that Nuun lacks some of the carbohydrates that other drinks offer, and it has zero calories, for me personally I would much rather eat something on my run, than drink calories because I think that may be what is upsetting my stomach and creating my stomach issues. I have come to realize when running very long distances (anything over 8 miles for me) that calories are super important and your calorie intake needs to at least be something. I think for my next training cycle, for whatever race that may be, I will try to eat foods instead of take gus/beans/shots etc, because those seem to be what messed up my stomach in the first place. I mean, besides the episode at Mile 8.

Nuun is tasty, replenishes electrolytes and I would recommend you guys to check it out next time you are at your local running store. It's just a small tablet that you can dissolve in water. Think alkaseltzer. It's nice because I can take more than one with me on a run and can refill my water and still have Nuun with me.

You can buy it on their website, or you can sometimes find it at local smaller running stores. Check it out! You won't be disappointed in the flavors and hydration.

xoxo

28 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've never heard of this before...definitely will check it out! Thanks!

Jen T said...

I recently bought Nuun thanks to your recommendation in an earlier post and LOVE it! THANK YOU! (fyi for others, I found it at REI) I just started training for my first marathon and I'm so glad I discovered it. Thanks again!

B.o.B. said...

I am super intrigued. I have never heard of this. Will definitely check it out. (I too have stomach issues!) Thanks!

Pandesaldreamer said...

Will have to try this. Thanks for the reviews!

PunkRockRunner said...

I discovered Nuun about 6-months ago and now it's a part of my day-to-day training. As I get closer to an event I actually drink it throughout the day too (not just when running or cycling).

Truly a great product!

Billy said...

I too, am a Nuun convert. Haven't tried all the flavors yet but the berry flavor has been suiting me just fine.

Be wary though of the fizziness - it's akin to running with a lightly carbonated soda in your bottle!

X-Country2 said...

Interesting. I've seen their logo on other blogs, but I never knew what Nuun was. Sounds like it might be something I'd like. Thanks for the review.

Alisa said...

Mr. Pi started out with these. I never tried it. I've definitely seen it at REI!

Marlene said...

Thanks for the great review! I've been wanting to try something new.

The Shabby Princess said...

Thanks for the tip!! I'll need to get myself some because I usually fill up my water bottle half with water and half with Powerade Zero, but, by the time I'm finished with my long runs, I've re-filled the bottle once or twice and it's now just water. Having the tablets handy would be great! Especially since I live in such a hot climate, it can get really easy to get dehydrated.

Aron said...

yum i love nuun!!! i wrote about fueling today too :)

RunToTheFinish said...

intersting, I've never tried them. I don't like gatorade and have only found a few things not too sweet...but a lot of folks seem to think Nuun is good stuff so you must be right!

Anonymous said...

I started using NUUN a few weeks ago and love it. It really helps and the lack of sugar is a plus with my stomach!

Kalong said...

I've never heard of this before either! How did you discover it? I think I might give it a try because whenever I eat too much before a run it just makes me feel sluggish, but if I don't eat enough I can literally feel my fuel running out. Oh BTW, how do you get that Twitter widget on your page?! I want one!! :-)

Mrs. Realife said...

There is SO much about running that I had NO idea about... I never would have even thought about keeping myself hydrated {although this 30 Shred is teaching me a thing or two about exercise} --

:)

FLYERS26 said...

I know our local REI store sells them.

Nicole said...

I'm so excited you posted this! The people at the running store really suggested this product. I actually picked some up today (lemon+lime flavor)! I can't wait to try it now!

Unknown said...

I'll have to check it out. Gatorade is just getting to sweet.

Stuart said...

I keep meaning to check this out...time, just run out of it all he time!

Donald said...

This is generally great stuff - I did a review of it about a year ago. The only thing I don't like is that the carbonation makes it leak out of your bottle if there's not a good seal. Otherwise, it's all good.

Questionably Texan said...

Thanks for the review. I've been meaning to try them out for awhile, but haven't gotten around to it. Between your review and hearing some random lady rave about them on the transit to my last race, I think I might become addicted.

Glenn Jones said...

I have non-runner friends (hikers, backpackers, climbers) that also live by Nuun. I know you can buy it at REI. Guess I'll need to give the stuff a try.....

Matt Hart said...

nuun rocks!

Anonymous said...

NUUN is my true love! so yummy I heart the citrus and lime flavors... yum :)

Stefanie said...

I just tried Nuun this week off of a cycling buddies recommendation and it is not quite my cup of tea at this point. I can't get past the alka seltzer feeling. However If you are looking for a subtle taste but a bit more calories, definitely try Heed. That is my new favorite. I am hoping the Nuun also grows on me too.

Julia said...

Hi! I just found your blog, and am excited to read more! I enjoyed reading your recommendations; I'm starting to train for my first marathon, and am always interested in products to try!

Tornado_grl said...

I tried nuun based on a friends suggestion, I must be the only person in the world that can't take the stuff! I started taking on water like the Titanic! My feet were swollen from too much sodium. I also had heartburn while running.
Bummer since it is supposed to be so great.

Back to gatorade or clifblocks n water.

Karena said...

Hi! I just started reading your blog (a bunch of other bloggers mentioned how awesome yours was) and think it's fantastic. I'm excited about reading more :)

I try to have Nuun on me all the time - you never know when you'll need it! It came in handy when my boyfriend and I got super dehydrated in Grenada and there wasn't anything but bottled water.