Thursday, December 11, 2008

One of those days.

It was one of those runs last night. When the breathing is hard, everything hurts, you question why you want to keep going. The three miles I put in were slow and painful, I finished at a slow 27:00. Yup, this morning it happened again, but not until about three miles in. The last two miles were torturous. My shins hurt, my legs were barely moving and I felt like I was so incredibly far away from my house. I knew I was much overdue for a crap run but man, I forgot how awful they are. Oh well. Tomorrow morning is a short three miler and then this weekend Saturday and Monday I hope to get in some miles at least 12-15. Hopefully my crappy runs are over.

I have realized that in order to reach my goal of running 500 miles for the year (I know you crazy people have run WAY more than me! I'm jealous, but I didn't run as consistently as I am now until July.) I have to put in about 30 more miles. Shouldn't be too hard, but I know I'm going to die of frostbite when I run up in Northern California when I go to visit Mr. R's family for four days.

Speaking of shins hurting, that's what the Gift of the Day is! My cousin has started running latley and is really beginning to enjoy it. She did the Couch to 5k plan, and is improving a lot! I am proud of her. Anyways, she has really bad shin splints and way back in the day (when google wasn't born yet and Al Gore was still perfecting the Internet) her basketball coach told her about these lovely little things called Shin Ice. It's a neoprene like sleeve that you slip over your ankle onto your shin. It has ice packs sewn inside the sleeve in pouch like form and a little area that your calf fits into too. I was skeptical myself of these contraptions but the other night at dinner she opened the package and I saw how these little babies could be VERY helpful for those who suffer from shin splints. They also seemed durable and the pack was very well sewn in, and for throwing it in the freezer I think it would be perfect.

Photobucket

Now, I know, I know, ice baths (eeek my worst enemy) are the way to go, but this, when you need a quick treatment after a shorter run can be super helpful and the material they are made from seem to be able to take a beating as well. It's almost like a wetsuit material and once slipped onto the leg it will also give compression, and that's also super helpful when it comes to dealing with shin splints. You do have to measure your calf to get the right size, but it seems like a perfect gift for those who are plagued with shin splints.

There are lot of different places to get these magical things online, and I've included the links and prices below for each place.

Footsmart - $19.99 each leg

Amazon.com - $12.89 each leg

Support USA - $26.00 each leg

AliMed - $20.50 each leg

MedEx01 - $13.53 each leg

xoxo

21 comments:

rinusrunning said...

You run a lot this year and maby take same rest for a week!!.
Groet Rinus.
http://rinusrunning.punt.nl/?home=1

joyRuN said...

I need an ITB version of that sleeve. Definitely less painful than the ice bath :)

Aron said...

ohh those sleeves are cool!

what part of nor-cal will you be in??

E said...

I think those sleeves are an excellent alternative to when you can't get the ice bath in.

Marcy said...

That actually sounds pretty cool. I don't know if I'd buy them though . . . I don't suffer enough shin splints. If they have one for the groin area let me know (I'm totally NOT joking HAHAH Really I'm always pulling my groin)

J said...

Good luck getting 500 miles! I heard its supposed to be warmer this weekend but maybe thats only by me?!

Anonymous said...

I like the shin ice thing, pretty cool. I hate having bad runs, but they happen. Great job on the mileage.

Mel-2nd Chances said...

ohh! Those sleeves look pretty neat, and exactly what i need. I'll have to check if any retailers carry them in Canada, otherwise maybe i'll find a snowbank to stick my legs in. :)

Mojito Maven said...

i am totally down with the shin ice!!!!!!!!!! I'm sorry your run was hard but you are still an inspiration to me evenon your off says!!!

No Longer Using said...

i am always amazed that one day a couple miles can feel so hard and then another day i feel like i can run fast forever. i guess we just have to accept the hard days.

Denise said...

I hate the bad runs...they are so long and seem like they will never end. Hope tomorrow is better for you!

Brandi said...

I just found you through Wearing Mascara and I am super happy I did. I just decided I am going to do my first run EVER (8K) on St Patricks day and am kinda scared! Ill for sure be coming back to get some advice!

Felice Devine said...

I know all about the crap runs, sister! But, you got them out of the way and now you can move on to really good ones this weekend!

Jenn said...

My husband gets bad shin splints -- thanks for the tip!

Billy said...

Dang it! I had an idea similar to this one (for the whole leg) to replace the dreaded ice bath (which I don't really mind)...but of course, someone beat me to it! grrr....

Hang in there Danica. You got the bad run under your belt, now it'll be nothing but good ones from here on out!

Brooke Hughes said...

yeah, Im having some issues with my running right now...the past few days I have been feeling like ive been running with weights on my legs

Janice {Run Far} said...

I'm due for a crap run.... nervous it might be tomorrow... I have 15 scheduled and worried about it.

Marlene said...

I hate crap runs. I hope this weekend is better!

And you will TOTALLY reach your goal of 500 for the year!

Come one, how cold can it be in northern CALIFORNIA?! lol

Allie said...

I understand about the bad run. They are no fun and can make you question your abilities! You can reach your goal, no problem!

Anniversary Moments said...

what a cool ice pack - thanks for posting! hopefully that was the last crap run of the year for you.

N.D. said...

These things look awesome!!!