Friday, March 27, 2009

Don't get your hopes up

No post today.

I leave you with my favorite poem from elementary school. I don't know why I can still recite this. Perhaps I heard it so many times that I just know it.

I cannot go to school today
said little Peggy Ann McKay
I have the measles and the mumps,
A gash, a rash, and purple bumps.

My mouth is wet, my throat is dry.
I'm going blind in my right eye.
My tonsils are as big as rocks,
I've counted sixteen chicken pox.

And there's one more, that's seventeen,
and don't you think my face looks green?
My leg is cut, my eyes are blue,
It might be the instamatic flu.

I cough and sneeze and gasp and choke,
I'm sure that my left leg is broke.
My hip hurts when I move my chin,
My belly button's caving in.

My back is wrenched, my ankle's sprained,
My 'pendix pains each time is rains.
My toes are cold, my toes are numb,
I have a sliver in my thumb.

My neck is stiff, my voice is weak,
I hardly whisper when I speak.
My tongue is filling up my mouth,
I think my hair is falling out

My elbow's bent, my spine ain't straight,
My temperature is one-o-eight.
My brain is shrunk, I cannot hear,
There's a hole inside my ear.

I have a hangnail and my heart is....
What? What's that? What's that you say?
You say today is......... Saturday?
G'bye, I'm going out to play!

I wish I was feeling good enough to go out and play today but today is not my day! Hoping tomorrow I am feeling well enough to race on Sunday. If not I will just cheer for my cousins who are running the 5k. Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend! Sorry today wasn't the foto Friday you were hoping for!

xoxo

40 comments:

Billy said...

Feel better Danica!

(did you really know that to memory? impressive!)

Lucky in Love said...

I hope you feel better soon! Good luck tomorrow if you can race!

Rest up!

Danielle J. said...

I hope you feel better! Enjoy tomorrow, even if you aren't able to run.

X-Country2 said...

I LOVE that poem! Made me smile 2 lines in. :o)

Get well soon.

Aron said...

have in there girl!!!! hope you feel better!

Candice said...

Hope you feel better asap! I'm thinking about you:)

Alisa said...

Get better!

I love Shell Silverstein, that was one of my favorites as a kid too!

Jennifer said...

I hope you feel better soon!

Niki said...

Rest up and feel better:)

J said...

Get better soon and good luck this weekend!!

Anonymous said...

hope you feel better soon!

Jocelyn said...

Get better ASAP!

Susan said...

Feel better quick!!

I can still recite "The Homework Machine" by Shel Silverstein...I had to "perform" it in second grade, and I've never forgotten it!

Oz Runner said...

great poem...can't believe you memorized it...i can't even remember my phone number half the time....get better soon..

Anonymous said...

I hope you get better girl! Goodluck this weekend :)

Denise said...

Rest up and feel better.

Brandi said...

Wow that brought back memories! Amazing you remember it!

Hope you get to feeling better!

Perfectly Imperfect said...

Hope you feel better soon!

And I'm in awe of your memory. I don't think I even remember what my elementary school's name was!

Amy said...

Hope you feel better this weekend!!!!

sarah (SHU) said...

when i was in second grade, my class presented this poem aloud at some assembly for parents. i had boldly volunteered to act out the poem while everyone recited it. i had a whole hamming-it-up routine planned, and i bragged to my family about my upcoming starring role for days.

however, when it came time to do it, i was struck with stage fright and mortified, ran off of the stage crying. i still remember one other kid's parent trying to console me afterwards and just feeling like a giant failure.

interestingly, i don't have much stage fright anymore. i guess i got over it after that! just had to share :)

Marcy said...

I hope you feel better chica! (But not before me :P) LOL JK!

Anonymous said...

Hope you feel better. Just have a good time and enjoy the run if you end up racing.

jlc said...

You are adorable!


Feel better though!!

kristen said...

Yuk. I really hope your up for this weekend. Take care of yourself.

Sharon said...

Get well, Danica!! Love the poem- I forgot all about it! Thanks for sharing =)

Felice Devine said...

Hope you feel better!

Amy said...

Thanks for your sweet comment on my blog. So excited to check yours out.

I love those poems from elementary school :) I have a few from Shel Silverstein up my sleeve but none are nearly that long.

No Longer Using said...

I LOVE SHEL SILVERSTEIN i have all of his books :)

Leila said...

feel better sweet girl! this is my all time FAVORITE shel silverstein poem!

Marlene said...

Hope you feel better!

Jodi said...

Oh how I used to love that poem! Still do, just hadn't read/heard it in so long. Get well soon - you don't want to be sick in HAWAII!!!

Kristen said...

Haha, I can still remember a poem from 2nd grade - it was called "Feet". We had to go around and ask ppl to have us repeat it and if we did we got their signature and whoever had the most won!

Hope you feeling better!

Katie B said...

This poem was always one of my favorites, too. I'd always think about it whenever I was contemplating being 'sick' :)

RunToTheFinish said...

psstt check out a post from Friday eve...you might feel better if you aren't yet :)

Marathon Maritza said...

Feel better!!!

I heart Shel Silverstein. :)

Seriously, rest, fluids, vitamin C...you know the drill. Quick recovery vibes are headed south to you, ASAP.

Pink Pearls & Muddy Sneakers said...

I LOVE THIS POEM! I can only ever remember the first couple of lines though :)

Pink Pearls & Muddy Sneakers said...

ps feel better soon :)

Kate said...

Hi! I just found your blog from Amber! I'm so excited to read! She gave me the tip to your blog b/c I'm running my first half-marathon and would LOVE any advice. Plus I see you're in So cal-I went to school at Chapman in Orange-know where that is???

Ms. V. said...

Hope you feel better!!!

Sasha said...

I knew we were kindred spirits!

I can recite that word for word too! Love Shel!