Thursday, February 5, 2009

Recipes, and a great run

So I promised some recipes today. These have become a staple for me as I move into my new place. I love making these and it's super easy. I've made a few adjustments for what is called for which I think makes them more healthy and a little bit more tasteful.

Taco Pies

2 (9 inch) deep dish frozen pie crusts, thawed
1 pound ground beef
1 (16 ounce) can refried beans
1 cup shredded low fat Cheddar cheese
1 large tomato, diced
sour cream

*You can also add
Onion, lettuce, tortilla chips, black olives, or even substitute the beef with turkey. I like it better with turkey.

DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Bake pie crusts following package directions, but cutting the bake time in half. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook the ground beef until evenly brown; drain excess fat. Place half the refried beans in each pie shell, smearing over the bottom and the sides of the partially baked shells. Spread a layer of ground meat over the beans, and top with the cheese. Bake 15 to 20 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown, and the cheese is bubbly. Top with whatever else you want to add to your taco.

Seriously, it's super easy and I really like it. Plus, it reheats well for a great meal the next day at work!

This is another favorite of mine. I love chicken and I love pasta. I usually use the spiral wheat pasta for this.
3 cups pasta of your choice
3 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
3 fresh mushrooms, sliced
2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
salt and pepper to taste
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese

*You can also add tomatoes or onions if you want*

DIRECTIONS
Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until soft; drain and reserve. Also, over medium heat, cook chicken for about 15 minutes and remove from pan; cool and dice.
In a large skillet over medium heat, combine mushrooms, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper; cook until hot. Remove from heat and add chicken and pasta. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese on top; serve.

This also heats up well for a great lunch the next day! I wish I had pictures to show you guys.

This morning I went for an easy four miler and it felt great to be outside again and getting my muscles working. I have found that with running sometimes you have a great experience, and sometimes you don't. If you aren't feeling like getting out there, then take a rest and do something else that gets your heart working. Whether this is a workout video, which I recommend the Biggest Loser videos, taking the dog for a walk, riding a bike, or jumping rope. I know jumping rope sounds stupid but it's seriously hard, believe me. I still was active these past few days but once I gave myself the chance and the mindset that I was ready to run again, it felt great and I'm glad I took a mini break. Hope you guys give yourself a break every now and then too so you can fall back in love with running.

xoxo

PS. My credit card was charged with $80 last night, so that means it's totally offically done! I'm signed up and RUNNING my first FULL MARATHON at the San Diego Rock and Roll Marathon on May 31st!

43 comments:

Billy said...

Extra lettuce on everything! ;)

You'll find your mojo back Danica. With those long legs, you were born to run and run well. Your track record already shows it. Sometimes, even forcing a smile when you are hurting does the trick!

BeachRunner said...

Glad to hear you are feeling refreshed and that you had a great run.

Sshh, dont give away the secret of magic of mini-breaks.

Anonymous said...

Love your new profile pic & this sounds soooo yummy!

X-Country2 said...

That taco pie stuff sounds pretty great. I may have to try those next week.

Aron said...

i totally agree with you on taking a break... sometimes you just need one. glad you had a great run this morning!

i liked your giveaway on my post today :)

Anonymous said...

Woo hoo! for the full marathon! I saw the ad in my Runner's magazine the other night. That'll be awesome!

Nicole said...

Jumping rope is SO hard. The owner of the company i work for is a marathoner, well was. He runs and then for a kick a$$ cardio workout, he jumps rope for 45minutes. I'm not kidding either. I asked him how he did it and he said that you have to start out like 30 seconds at a time and go up from there. Hes like 60 and jumps rope for 45 minutes! I just cant believe it!

Amber said...

I know what you mean. I'm giving myself a break today because I'm sick but I want to still go for a light walk and I'm definitely going to do some yoga. Thanks for a great post, it made me feel a lot less guilty about missing my run, I also can't wait to try out some of those recipes :-)

Marathon Maritza said...

San Diego! San Diego!!!!!

Danica, you've made my freakin' day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unknown said...

Yummy recipes! And you are right sometimes it is good to do things other than run. That way you still do it for pleasure and its not always a job =)

Unknown said...

Luv the new pic by the way!

Marlene said...

Yum, thanks for the recipes!

Congrats on your official registration. Weeeeeeeee!

Anonymous said...

Yay! Your first marathon! I always feel excited right after I sign up for a new race!

Denise said...

Congrats on signing up!! You'll be so happy you did!

No Longer Using said...

I LOVE jump roping and i miss it. i can't do it in the winter, for some reason. i really want to get back to it this spring/summer. thanks for the reminder! :)

J said...

Glad your back to running! I agree it is good to take a break!

Melanie said...

Woohoo for the marathon!!!! :)

Janice {Run Far} said...

OMG... you have 188 followers now. How great. I still hope I win that book. I saw them talking about it on Extra last night.

LyndsAU said...

yay for signing up for that marathon that is awesome!!!
and I am glad you had a great run today!! I am off for a three mile run shortly! :)

jaime said...

Yay for the marathon!!!! Elite Racing does the BEST races! I'm running Country Music Marathon in Nashville at the end of April. I have friends who have run R&R and loved it. :)

Just Me said...

OH MY... that sounds so yummy.... I am going to have to try that for sure.

Run Mommy said...

Excellent! I am excited to read more about your training. (and recipes!)

d.a.r. said...

I am so glad you found your groove again! :) Sometimes that mental break is good for ya. Congrats on signing up for your first marathon, that is awesome!

Kim said...

That taco pie sounds way easy and way yummy! Thanks for it.

Also...Whooo Hooo!!! For signing up for your 1st FULL marathon! It's going to be a blast.

RunToTheFinish said...

OMG another person doing SD...WAHOOO!! i can't wait for us all to meet up, so much stinkin fun!!

thanks for the fun, healthy easy recipes, those are my kind of cooks

Anonymous said...

A full marathon!! Ya, Danica!

Thanks for sharing the recipes. A break, I am still on one.

jlc said...

I tagged you in my blog!! :)

Jocelyn said...

OMG those recipes look divine!

Jocelyn said...

Oh yeah, and I'll see YOU at San Diego!

USJogger said...

Thanks for signing up for the FFFK! This is going to be great! Spread the word!

joyRuN said...

Thanks for the recipes, especially that first one. I have a feeling that'll be tomorrow night's dinner.

Oh, and YEAY for signing up for your first full!!!

Glenn Jones said...

Congrats on making the dive and signing up for RnR! I know you'll have a great time! Being your first marathin, don't worry too much about your finish time and just enjoy the moment!

Tom Ritchie said...

That Taco Pie looks awesome. I love mexican food! That is great that you signed up for your first marathon. I've heard the San Diego Rock N Roll is a great race too. Make sure you get your long runs in. I made a mistake in my 1st marathon and only got a few runs over 17 miles and though I could just fight through the last bit during the race, but I was wrong.

Liana said...

those sounds so good, i def want to try them! glad you had such a good run!

I Love Your Whole Face said...

Your gonna love San Diego!! A full marathon is a huge accomplishment. You should be so proud!!!!

Jess said...

Oh those recipes sound pretty good! Thanks for sharing!

ilovesteaks said...

LOL @ Billy... no lettuce please! =)

Glad to hear that you've bounced back from your "off" day. What did you put down as your finishing time for SD RnR?

Heather @ Simple Wives said...

Oh that recipe sounds good!

Team Clancy said...

My friend just told me about something similar to the taco pie, but if you are carb conscious, leave out the crust and press the meat into the pie plate first as a "shell". I think that is such a neat idea!

littlesack said...

that chicken recipe sounds great. Thanks.

Congrats on signing up for your first marathon! I'm planning my first for October!

Ms. Florida Transplant said...

Hi - I just found your blog. Love it so far. :)

Jodi said...

You signed up?! Yay!
Guess I should start planning a weekend trip to San Diego... :)

Alisa said...

I'll be adding those recipes to the Dunlap rotation!

Yay!!!! San Diego...can't wait to meet you and all the other bloggers!