Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Trail Runs, 14 miles, and Rain, Oh My!

So this weekend the normally sunshiny state of CA was drenched in rain. Rain, rain, rain. I was very worried that this weekend when I was going to do my first ever real trail run that it would be cancelled because of the rain. I was lucky enough to be invited by the lovely Sara and Billy to the Trail Runners Club meet up at the Morgan Trail in Orange County. It was an AMAZING. I have never run on trails before and I am now insanely jealous of all you who have this type of open land so close to you. It was a 5 mile out and back run and I really enjoyed the people and location. It was so different and exciting. And thanks to Billy for all these amazing pictures!

Photobucket

Sara and I before we took off for the run

Photobucket

Starting off with some hills

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Thanks again guys for inviting me and I would encourage everyone to give trail running a chance. It's so much nicer on the joints and body and it's scenic and serene. It was so nice to see such a different view and to run with more people! Oh and I was super brave. I ran in 32 degree weather. I know! How hardcore is that!


Then Saturday I had a fourteen miler. I was pretty nervous about this run because I had never ran this distance before. I have never passed over the half marathon mark of 13.1 miles. I had been having some trouble with my knee lately and was hoping that it would hold up so I could get in the fourteen miles. I also was hoping it would stay sunny for my entire run.


I started off the first 3 miles pretty slow and then found my rhythm. Miles 4-10 were pretty good, easy solid pace. Miles 11-12.8 were slower but I knew I was getting close to the end so I was getting happy with myself, and maybe loosing my mind a little bit. Then mile 13 came and went and I hit the W.A.L.L. I have never crashed that hard before. My stomach was hurting, I have never felt so tired in my life. I finally made it home after a slothy last mile and took a long shower. I was totally fine though, and felt great to have finally surpassed the half marathon mark. I averaged an 8:55 pace for the 14 miles. Can't wait to do the 16 next weekend!


Mr. R, who is an athletic trainer then looked at my toe that was 'sore' for the past week and he realized that it was super infected under my toenail. Disgusting. He has been draining it for me, and taking such good care of my poor toe as well. We are hoping to save the toenail. Sadly, I might loose it. I know I'm devastated.


Tonight I'll be cross training at the gym to help my toe heal for my race this weekend. Just a little fun 10k close by my house. Tomorrow I'm going to post the results for the Freakishly Flexible 5k that was in honor of Non-Runner Nancy! So get your times to me if you haven't yet! (danicakoo@gmail.com)


Hope everyone had a wonderful weekend.


xoxo

42 comments:

Aron said...

awesome pics!!! sounds like a really great run. i want to give trails a try one of these days :)

great job on the 14 miler! that is a great avg pace for a long run!! i am doing 16 this weekend too :)

Jess said...

Wow those are some really great pictures! Nice job getting the 14 miles done!

Anonymous said...

cute pics, gross toe but ill forgive you since you like the comebacks.

Melanie said...

There's something I love about pictures where the ponytail is flying through the air.

Great job on the 14 miler. I always find the last mile or two are rough when I'm adding mileage to a long run. I bet you make it to 14 just fine next week and if you struggle at all, it'll be those last 2 miles. Just keep moving forward and know you'll be that much stronger!

maria khoury said...

ahhh! your toe totally freaks me out! im super paranoid about my toes and weird things that may happen to them. keep us updated on your toe's status!

BeachRunner said...

Great pics, great run, ummm... nasty toe!!

Hope you get to keep the nail.

Alisa said...

Beautiful pics!

I'm soooooo terrified of trails. I'm afriad I'll trip and break something!

14 miles on a trail to boot---way to go! You'll do great with 16!

d.a.r. said...

Congrats on the 14 miler!!! And the trails look beautiful!

Marathon Maritza said...

Wow, beautiful weather you guys got for you trail run! What a great day for it!!!

Also great job on the 14 miler, you are kicking ass and taking names!!

Denise said...

Congrats on the distance!!

Sorry about the toenail...but I'm down 2 right now. Such ugly feet since I started running.

And lastly, I'm scared of trail running b/c I know I'll trip and sprain an ankle.

P.O.M. said...

Yippy for the 14 miles. You'll do great on your 16.

So did you run 2 days in a row??? Maybe that's why you felt like you it a wall. When I started increasing my distance, I took a day off before and after. If you feel you need to do something - ride the bike or do yoga. Just a thought!

P.O.M. said...

Oops - I meant "HIT the wall" not "it the wall."

I'm a fast error ridden typer.

Liana said...

im so impressed!! 14 miles you put me to shame!! but i love the pink you ladies are wearing :)

Marcy said...

Ohhhhh looks so pretty!

Draining your toenail?! Now that's some freak nasty stuff right there, chica! LMAO!

Donald said...

Beautiful pics! Congrats on knocking out the 14. Good luck taking care of that toenail.

Marlene said...

Awesome pictures from the trail. Looks like a really nice place! I would love to run somewhere like that... although, knowing me, I would trip on a branch and totally wipe out!

Also - huge congrats on your longest run EVA!

Lindsay said...

love the pics and you guys in your pink shirts! i can only wish i had trails to run on here... great job on the 14 miler! 8:55 avg at your first longer-than-13.1 distance is amazing to me.

Run Mommy said...

Great looking pictures! I am excited to do my first trail race in June so plan on hitting some trails soon! At least as soon as the snow is gone for good. :)

Run Mommy said...

Great looking pictures! I am excited to do my first trail race in June so plan on hitting some trails soon! At least as soon as the snow is gone for good. :)

Lou Lou said...

I'm so impressed by you! I could never never run 14 miles!

Amber said...

Trail running is so fun and scenic, there's some beautiful trails in my hometown and I always take my mom's big golden lab with me when I go running there!

That sucks about your toenail, mine's been hurting lately, I hope it doesn't fall off :S

Anonymous said...

that looks like such a great run - I couldn't run in those temps though.

joyRuN said...

Great job with the trail & the 14! The trail views look gorgeous :)

Good luck with the toe. Ew.

Anonymous said...

The pictures are beautiful! Looks like a great run and to top it off you got to hang out with Billy! Trail running is so much fun and is a nice change from the roads.

Unknown said...

I trail run/race whenever I get the chance. Been hooked on it for years. Seeing deer, wild turkey and other of nature's creatures is a splendid sight. I can tell you are hooked. You'll find races now that specialize in trails.

Billy said...

Awesome weekend of running Danica. And so glad you enjoyed yourself out on the trails.

Great to run with ya as always. See ya in Malibu - if not sooner!

Heather Warren said...

wow, you're a crazy running machine. your site always makes me feel lazy. i hope to be like you someday.

RunToTheFinish said...

way to go on the new distance!!! As you are adding it's really about making sure you keep the pace reasonable so you can add miles...but heck you know that!

The trail run looks beautiful and man you have such amazing views every where you are...I should send you what the burbs look like ;)

J said...

Great job on the 14 miler! Sounds like the trail run was super fun too! Too bad about your toe!! At least you have a personal trainer all to yourself!!

Nicole said...

I love those pictures! I'm so jealous of your run, it looked like tons of fun!

I used to loose my toenails all the time in HS during cross season. Thankfully, i havent lost one yet but they are sensitive. I'm getting a pedicure next week and i'll have to warn them to be careful with my babies HAHA :)

~Mrs. Guru~ said...

That looked like so much fun and the scenery was awesome!

Marci said...

I love trail running! That scenery looks amazing, thanks for sharing pics!

Cheetah Girl said...

Thanks!!! Ahh it was so exciting! Pshh I'm already addicted, the same day as my race I was online looking up other 1/2's to run!
p.s. My friend totally found and bought a bumper sticker that says 'toenails are for sissy's' at a little kiosk :) We were probably more winded from laughing than we were from the race haha!

kristen said...

losing toenails...happens to the best of it. I'm glad you found your new love - hills. You can have some of mine;)

Oz Runner said...

great pics of the trail run...great scenery and looks very cool...and way to knock out the 14 miler, too.

Toni said...

Great job! I love the pics, it looks like a great day.

Amy said...

Ooooo those trails look awesome! All our trails are in wooded areas, which is cool for awhile... but it gets kind of boring after awhile...

Congrats on the first 14 miler! I remember my first run over the half distance... I completely crashed immediately the run. But, your body gets used to it. Great job and great pace!!!

Julie said...

So jealous of the trails you have! Trail running Kansas just isnt the same :( And congrats on the 14 miler! So exciting when every run you have is your longest ever!

Kristen said...

Great pictures...the scenery sure helps on those long miles.

Congrates on doing 14 miles and what an awesome pace. I get excited when I can keep a 10 minute pace for more than 5 miles.

Good luck with your 16 miler

Lily on the Road said...

Hope your toe is better!

Mollie said...

I loooove your pink top! Trail running looks like a blast!

Laurel said...

Love the pictures! Looks like a beautiful run! So lucky.