Monday, May 11, 2009

20 miler down.


I had another 20 miler this weekend. I was pumped about it all week, ready to nail it and was even hoping to do better than my last 2o miler. For some reason my legs had been feeling heavy all week long but I tried to push that out of my mind. I'm a pretty positive person and I felt like I would just kill this run for some reason.

Things change once you start running.

I got out the door and started with my gus, my filled bottle and my new pouch. I took my phone because I wanted to take pictures along my route like so many people do to share with everyone of where I was running. Mile one was rough but usually mile one is rough when I'm running in the morning because I'm still a little tired. It just never got better though. I think I hit the proverbial wall once I stepped out the door for my run. Not a good sign

I ran a few different loops, didn't calculate my run correctly and ended .5 of a mile away from my house. Usually this doesn't make a difference to me during a run, but after 20 miles of playing mind games with yourself, when you are done you want to be home. There were some failed things about this run that were totally my fault. I didn't take my ipod. GIANT FAIL. I had nothing to entertain me, I was incredibly bored and didn't run far enough 'out' in my first loop so I was doing weird loops to make up for distance and that's how I got confused and miscalculated.

Each mile I tried to think of different people. I thought of Aron, Maritza, Tara, Alisa, Julianne, Maggie, and all the girls that will be in SD, I thought of some random twitterers but I just never got in the zone. I tried to distract myself by taking pictures, and looking around me, but there weren't too many people out when I started and when I hit the wall BIG time at mile 10, there were people out probably just wondering what in the world I was doing. I was gimping, running fast then slow, I just couldn't pull out of the funk, but you know what I realized during this wonderful long run? That sometimes it's not about being the fastest. It's not about the best time, having the best day, feeling great and totally nailing the workout, it's about running. It's about getting out there and doing it. I didn't want to run at all on Saturday, but I still did it. Looking back yea, it was a crappy way to spend three hours, but at the same time, I'm pretty proud of doing yet another 20 miler. It's just that you have to believe in yourself and do it. Then you can do it, then you can basically do anything.

Then my spirits were cheered a little when an older hot dadish type ran with me for about .5 of a mile. We chatted for a while, I told him I was training for San Diego Rock and Roll. He told me
"Well girl, you look good so don't even worry!" I smiled but then his measly nine miler was done. I trudged forward.

Even though it was one of my worst runs ever, It taught me a lot of lessons. I knew I couldn't stop. I knew I had to keep going. I knew that this would be like what the marathon felt like. It's not the best idea to do every one of your runs alone, but that is what I do.

I laughed at the pictures I had taken, felt bad for the two dead seagulls I saw, smiled at bikers and even hummed to myself. I was pretty cuckoo on this run, but I knew I had to finish. One point I even resorted to tweeting, which oddly enough, I think I was running the fastest all day when I was tweeting.

So you want to see the photo tour of my 20 miler? Wait no more.... It was quite interesting to say the least, but hey, I'm glad I can run, I'm glad I completed it, and I'm glad it's done with. Now I can taper, even though I think I've been tapering for over a month...





I tried to take a picture of myself during my run, this was the best I could do.



Then I run past the Queen Mary on a pretty regular basis. It was still a little bit cloudy but there she is!



There's the beach path that I started on and mostly what I run every day when I am training. It's flat and gorgeous. There's even the Belmont pool in the background! For those of you who are looking at possibly doing The Long Beach 1/2 Marathon or Full Marathon, that is the 1/2 Marathon course!



I recently found this, it's a boardwalk path and I love running on it. The wood is actually very nice to run on and the houses are HUGE and fun to look into. Usually I catch myself staring in all the windows and get embarrassed when there are people inside and catch me looking at them! :)

I realized after my run, that I really liked my new pouch, I wore it on the front to stop the bouncing of the water bottle and disperse the weight more evenly. Then I realized where I was wearing it all day made it look like I was wearing a loincloth or worse trying to hide something. Wha-wha.

On top of the bluff above the beach path. There are always characters up here and I sometimes run up here to switch things up a little bit.

Hi, I'm ChicRunner and I want to DIE! This was on my walk home. So tired. So sore. So far away from my house. Oh well, whatever happened happened.


Then instead of wasting money on ice for an ice bath, I just decided to walk back out to the beach and went in the ocean for my ice bath. It was cold and dirty, but I waited it out and then went home and took a shower. Hooray for my last 20 miler before the full marathon.

Though yesterday isn't my favorite day in the world, I had a good day with my roommate's mom and family. We rented a boat and cruised around the bay, drinking mimosas and eating cheese and crackers and strawberry shortcake. YUM.

On another completely unrelated note, Kymberli from Webbed Foot Photography and I are doing a photo shoot this weekend and I'm ecstatic. Almost as ecstatic as when I found a new HUGE Forever 21 right down the street that I didn't even know about this weekend. I can't wait and I will be sharing some wonderful pictures with you guys as well. :)

Can't wait to catch up on all the Race Reports and every one's weekends. I am thinking that I'm going to be posting some reviews this week and next week everyday for a week I will talk about running and the many things associated with it, like gus, ice baths, training, and starting out. I am no genius but I will offer my thoughts and ideas on the topics and address some of the questions I've gotten recently.


Hope everyone has a wonderful Monday!

xoxo

65 comments:

Tara Gibson said...

oh my word you inspire me!

Amber said...

I do all my runs alone too, although the longest training run I've done alone is only 12 miles, it can be quite boring. ESPECIALLY with no iPod!

Good for you for sticking it out!! I can't even imagine running a full marathon after the way I felt after my half-marathon a week ago, but who knows, maybe one day!

Oz Runner said...

man i would love to run by the beach/ocean...great job on getting the 20 miles in despite the boredom...looking forward to reading your running tips...i'm such a newbie...

Anonymous said...

Awesome job. 20-milers are always so difficult but you did it-- that's the important thing.

I love that path in the LBC! Every time I'm down there for work and have to be at the convention center I run on it. It makes me so happy to smell the ocean and see all the people out there. Our river trail is awesome but it is NOT the ocean!

Glenn Jones said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kristin @ The Southern Summer said...

So funny! I about died when I saw you Tweeting during the run...I dunno if I could handle that! Do you have a small phone or a BBerry/iPhone? I would like to run with mine to get pics, but I HATE carrying anything with me!

(Even water bottles/belts...iPod shuffle is about all I can handle.)

Almost there!! I'm sure you will rock the marathon!

Glenn Jones said...

Way to do that long run! The 20 miler is the toughest run in the world. Partly becuase of the time and distance, but mostly because you are all alone with nothing to think about except the time and the distance.

You'll do great at RnR! If you can stand the boredom of 20 miles, the marathon will be a snap!

Denise said...

Great job!! Going in the ocean afterwards sounds sooo good! I'm jealous you can do that.

I'm glad yesterday was ok for you.

Addict said...

I have heard that some people prefer doing distance without an ipod so that they can us ethe running as their time to think. I must not be in good enough shape to do that because if the ipod is not in I dont think I could make it past mile 3.

Vicki T said...

When I used to dance, our teacher used to say the dress rehersal was to get all the jitters and "the bad" out, so when you had a really bad dress rehearsal you knew you would have a great performance, because all that was left in your was good!

Maybe that's how this is :)

No Longer Using said...

Danica I TOTALLY believe in ocean-icing. i wish i lived next to one so i could do it all the time! seriously when i thought of this i felt like a genius :) CONGRATS on your 20 miler! you did great!!! and it's SO FAR!

Sara said...

great job with your second 20 miler, Danica. and lol about you miscalculating the distance ... i've done that on more than one occasion myself (except one time i was 2+ miles away from my apartment after running 20 miles ... that sucked). every hard run will make the marathon that much easier. enjoy your taper!

Anonymous said...

Great job! I think we've all had runs that didn't feel well!

BTW, my husband and I bought the Garmin you reviewed!! Great review - you made up our minds! :) Just thought you'd like to know!

Unknown said...

Those are beautiful running spots you have there! I think that would definitely keep my attention for at least a good bit:p But then I've never lived there and don't see it everyday...LOL to the loin cloth! Good job on sticking it out...I know I would have just not ran, but I'm getting to the point where I'm pushing through bad days:)it feels wonderful when you do...

Chocolate & Chants said...

I run there as well, but I find that it gets boring! Where is that boardwalk section?

KBroome said...

Its so encouraging to hear that you have days where your legs feel heavy and its just harder. I feel like that every once and a while and wonder if I have set myself back somehow. I guess its not always easy! Love the pictures, I wish I had somewhere so pretty to run!

Vava said...

"measly 9 miler" - man, you are hardcore! Way to tough it out.

Amy said...

Loved reading this. I'm proud that you completed the 20-miler, even though it didn't go exactly as planned. I also think it's cool you tweeted while running!

Marlene said...

Way to push through! I think having a really difficult long run will help you a ton in the marathon. There's going to be a time when you want to quit, but you'll pull through just like you did today!

LyndsAU said...

you are awesome :) you pushed through when a lot would have given up! i don't know how you did 20 miles with no ipod :)

Amy said...

Great job. I think that completing a bad long run is important for your confidence going into the marathon and for your expectations. Now you know that you can kill this marathon, because you survived a crappy long run. Congrats!

it is everlasting said...

I think it's more inspiring to hear about a really bad long run than a great one... knowing that you did it (even when it sucked to do) is awesome. You will be crossing the finish line at R&R before you know it!

Kristen said...

What a beautiful place to run! I would love to run into the ocean after a run! :D

Great job on keeping going. You rmind does some pretty cooky things when it is trying to stay entertained for 20 miles.

I CAN'T believe the run is in 2 weeks!

Cindy said...

i love what you wrote ! it's all true. great job on doing that 20 miles and being so strong!

Girl Meets Beau said...

Yay for you!! You are seriously so awesome! You make me want to start running again...not that I was a pro before, but I enjoyed running. Your runs look so pretty!! I would love running by an ocean :)

~Mrs. Guru~ said...

Good for you! I can't wait to hear all about your topics!

J said...

You did it! Even though it wasn't the best you are totally right about you completed the run! 20 miles is 17 more than I have run recently! I usually dont run with an ipod but I think for a 20 miler it might be a good idea!

maria khoury said...

no music!?!?!? you are crazy!!!!!!! im worried about you.

Heather said...

Good job getting through a tough run alone! That will build up some mental strength for the marathon.

RissyKay said...

I can't wait for your running tips and Good job on the run!

RunToTheFinish said...

oh boy...I hpe my 20 goes better than that or i may not do this race

way to tough it out seriously...even wearing a loin cloth

Jen Feeny said...

Loved the post! I have yet to reach a 20-miler but with each passing week it grows closer and I can't wait. I know it's going to be tough but in the end it's what doesn't kill us that makes us stronger! You have such a great running route! So jealous! Keep up the training and believe in yourself!!!

Becky said...

I'm more inspired by you when you say you were hating the run than when you say you were loving it. Isn't all of life about conquering adversity and then feeling so good about yourself when you get to the other side?
I'll bet you felt pretty good that guy was only running 9 miles and you were running 20, too!

Bootchez said...

No kidding, I think the fact that you completed the run when your mind was SO against it speaks volumes about you -- and to run sans iPod all the same says even more. Way to rock the run, even if you don't think so!

Aron said...

honestly girl, this run will get you very far in the marathon. having those tough runs and pushing through and finishing up the miles is extremely beneficial mentally.

love all the pics too :)

P.O.M. said...

I was totally thinking about you this weekend. I was giong to text you to see how your run went, but I got super busy with painter, home depot and all that jazz.

Enjoy Taper Time!!!!!! It's my favorite part (minus the self-doubt that will start to creep in. So just be aware that it's normal to feel that).

Jo Lynn said...

HA! I love the first self-portrait that you missed. That's pretty funny. ;) At least the second one you got right. No sunglasses or hat? I would go nuts. Good job getting it done. ;)

Sarah said...

wow! You are such an inspiration

kelsey said...

You're running twitter commentary made me smile. :D I'm glad to hear that you got a sweet compliment out of the deal from the cute runner dad.

I ran my first 5 miles on Sunday! I can't wait until I can go out there and SUFFER through 20 miles like you and my other inspiration girlies.

Good job, you!

kelsey
twitter.com/kelsnotchels
www.kelseytoney.com

kristen said...

Way to go girl. 20 milers are not easy for anyone - no matter what they say. Your full of preserverence and it sounds like you are so ready for the marathon.

Billy said...

Congrats on finishing out the meat of your training with your last 20-miler Danica!

I can't believe your very first marathon's less than a couple of weeks away now. You're gonna do great girl. Just have fun, run steady & even paces and think of me telling you to get your ass in gear should you start slacking during the race!

Lauren @ Team Giles said...

YOU ARE AWESOME!!! YEAA CHIC! Such a good run report, you inspire me. :)

Niki said...

Great job for sticking it out! You are gonna do awesome in your marathon!

Milltini said...

Keep it up! You are doing so awesome.

Mojito Maven said...

yep, you're my hero!

Jamie said...

great job making it through a tough 20! having a tough long run will help you come marathon day. they aren't fun though!

That's a fabulous running route :)

Leslie said...

seriously, that it TOTAL inspiration. way to work it out!

ps check out my giveaway if you need some holey donuts as running fuel. :)

http://lovejackson.blogspot.com/2009/05/holey-giveaway.html

Jodi said...

I recognize that first picture! (Well almost all of them actually - where is that boardwalk)? But that first one is where me and Olie One walked down at the LB 1/2 and looked for you FOREVER and didn't see you. FAIL haha

Good work on this run! I am proud of you!!! You rock.

The Laminator said...

You are one tough runner. Very inspired by how you handled your 20 miler. No Ipod for 20 miles...that's something I've never done. Congrats on you! You are a great road warrior!

Donald said...

You're totally ready. Just cruise through the taper, and that marathon is in the bag.

Great pics, too - thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

I always run alone, there is something peaceful about it. However, on some runs I think it would be nice to have someone there to help push me or keep me distracted.

You are ready for SD!

Marcy said...

I have that same pocket! Love, love, love it! I always clip it on the side though. You loin cloth nut :P

massage momma said...

Awesome job with the 2nd 20 miler! Good for you that you did it even though you weren't feeling great.

I don't know that I could run that far without some music. That's a long way. When I did my half marathon I accidentally left my ipod on the night before and the battery was dead when I started the race. I was fine until about mile 9 and then I could have used some tunes!

candace said...

can you be any funnier? =) i die laughing and you are totally inspirational. can't wait to read all your thoughts on even basic running stuff!

JenZen said...

Wow - way to push through the whole 20 miles when you didn't feel like it. Awesome - and love the pics to go along with it. Great job!

Unknown said...

Good job getting through that tough 20-miler. Those are the runs that teach you that you can go the distance even if things don't go as planned.

Anonymous said...

whoohooo 20 miler club! great job girl! 20 milers are always long and tough no matter if you're in the zone or not! Love all the pics!! Taper time! CAN"T WAIT TO MEET YOU IN SD!!!! :)

Stuart said...

Great job, congrats in getting that under you loin cloth..errr running belt!

I think you just coined you new moniker!

Alisa said...

Beautiful!!!!!!!!!! So jealous! I love, love, love that you went in the ocean for your ice bath =).

I was thinking of you guys too! It definitely helped get me through the rough patches.

joyRuN said...

Happy taper!!!

Lindsay said...

great job on your 20 miler! so jealous of the ocean ice bath, great idea :) loved all the pics and captions/comments. enjoy your taper you earned it!

http://gokristen.wordpress.com said...

Great job on the 20 miler! And great idea to get into the ocean!

Felice Devine said...

Love the loin cloth pic! Ha!

Marathon Maritza said...

Yeah! Great job on the 20 miler!

LOL having the pouch there totally looks like you're wearing a cup!

Melanie said...

Girl, you made it and that's what counts! It's going to be helpful on race day to remember this run and to know you got through it, and thus you can get through anything!