Wednesday, May 13, 2009

You Bar Review + Driving + Swim + Run = Fun

So last week Thursday I told everyone I did a crazy run but I didn't want to share about it without pictures just yet. Well I saw the pictures this morning and they are simply AMAZING. Now, I ran with the Long Beach Hashers of the Hash House Harriers. I have never done a run with them but my wonderful friend Sam got me to go for a run with them. This isn't a running group, this is a drinking group with a running problem. This was the ever eventful run when we went for a SWIM. Yes, I just said SWIM in the middle of the run. I was unprepared and wouldn't normally do stuff like that. EVER. I decided to be spontaneous and just swim it.

Well the run started out good, we were just a little bit behind everyone but we caught up. I had to wear a name tag that said Newboot since I was a new person. It was fun seeing everyone out running and enjoying the outdoors. We started running through some neighborhooded areas.

Then we got to this section where it was like, Eagles go for a swim, turkeys trace your trail back to the starting point. I didn't know what to do, but as you can see I stripped off my shirt and went for the swim. I guess I was thinking the inner tube around my neck would keep me afloat.

Sam was ready to rock and roll. Me on the other hand, yup, I was freaking out.



I was pretty much just telling myself to suck it up and stop being a (bad word) I know to many of you this isn't a big deal, but it was a fairly big deal for me. The inner tube helped me, that's for sure.


There is complete proof I was in the water! I should have gotten the raft. :(


We walked back, without shoes for about 1.5 miles. Wearing goggles. I was shirtless. It was more than an experience to say the least. At least there was a generator omitting heat that I tried to dry myself off from.


Then, since everyone was jealous of our goggles that we got at the 'swim across point' AND wore them all the way back, we were singled out of the group and had to drink a beer wearing the goggles. What a run. After things calm down a little bit in my life I hope to get back out there with them and do some more exciting runs.

So Driving to work was quite an experience this morning. I got flipped off for going 75 in the slow lane and two, yes TWO cars zoomed past me like I was creeping along at slug speed. The Koo's cruising altitude is roughly around 65-75 mph, and I was going 75. Does that call for the bird and speed racing by? I think not. Sigh, CA driving. It was on a 5 lane freeway too. Gosh people, just so excited to get to work?

( I have no idea who this guy is, but he was in the picture from bullet1.com)


Then I'm driving down to the next freeway, I hop on, cruse along and then I realize the car in front of me has the 'bullet hole' stickers. It was on an Honda SUV. There was a BABY ON BOARD sticker next to the bullet holes. First off, I think these 'bullet hole' stickers are awful because it doesn't make you look hardcore, it's tacky, and on an SUV, and with a baby on board sticker? I tried so hard to take a picture, but I sadly couldn't.

You Bar Review!
I recently tried the new "YouBar". The concept behind these bars is that you make them to be whatever you want, kind of like the cereal craze that is going around. I honestly really liked the bars, they were tasty and they did actually feel like they were filling in my stomach, instead of eating junky granola bars that only have 90 calories. Has anyone else realized without the packaging those things don't even stay together?

So YouBars were delicious, and you know what else I completely loved, their breakfast shakes! I love the fact you can add milk and drink it right away. I usually just drink water after any run, sometimes I go for gator or an Honest Tea, but this past weekend, after my 20 miler, I went for a protein shake. Now, the word protein scares me especially in shake form. I don't want to become a muscle building freak, I tend to lean a little more towards the skeletal look. I think I just have it engraved in my head that protein shakes are for boys. Well if these Youbar shakes are for boys, sign me up! It was tasty and fulfilling as well. I think I was a little calorie deprived and I felt like it replenished my system into the perfect resting state so I promptly passed out on the couch.

They have a really cool system on their website where you can build your own bar, which I like, because you can put whatever you want into each bar. For me, I love bars without nuts so that is a great option for me since most bars come with them. They show all the nutritional information as you build it and you can get them in somewhat of a 'bulk' package with 13 bars in each box. Just like the cereal though, these bars are somewhat expensive, especially for me. They roughly are around $2.99 a bar, but if you are allergic, vegan or rich, you can try them out and it's a great option. You can make your own shakes and trail mixes too. Double score. You can check out their website and see if you can make a better bar for yourself! YouBar
Wow that post was jammed packed!

Well get ready for some deals tomorrow!

Tonight I'm going to do another 4 miler after work, hopefully it will stay light enough, long enough! :)

xoxo

37 comments:

Lucky in Love said...

What a fun run! Who would ever think to do something like that?? How neat :)

Billy said...

Holy crap...that's crazy! And those pics with you and the tube around your neck are hi-larious.

I want in next time!

Unknown said...

Great post! I really like the pics you post of running and whatnot.

Totally trying the YouBar thing. :)

Anonymous said...

Love the pictures and what a crazy run!!

I'm thinking of posting some more pictures from the race I did this past weekend - I look scary running! Like I'm about to die!

Becky said...

I love protein shakes! Have you tried them with soy protein? Soy is DEFINITELY not for boys!

Melissa @ I Pick Pretty said...

How fun that you hashed! I love the concept so much that I'm almost willing to do it here despite the running.

Oh, I miss California driving, rude gestures and all. You're more likely to find someone doing 55 in the fast lane here, no joke.

P.O.M. said...

So funny!!!!! I have some other friends that have run with the Hash Harriers - in Denver & Portland.

Amy said...

Fun run!! How cool is that. Way to be a trooper and do the swim, too :)

Anonymous said...

I run with my local H3 kennel - it's higly enjoyable - around here you can hash almost every single night of the week. Unfortunately we do not live by the beach, so people improvise and take the pack through sewers.

Glad you enjoyed it - always a crazy experience your first time out. Just a few more and you could possibly be named!!!

Anonymous said...

okay, i guess not really sewers, but more like drainage culvert pipes - under highways and stuff...good times :)

Marlene said...

What a crazy run!! That sounds like to great group for a fun run (or swim?!) now and then!

Sarah said...

" A drinking group with a running problem" hahah OMG your hillarious

Girl Meets Beau said...

Love the pics! That looked like such a fun run!!

I am going on the YouBar site now! I want to at least try it out..don't think it will be a constant at $2.99/bar!

J said...

That sounds a pretty intense run/swim! Those goggles are hott! Great pictures!

joyRuN said...

Looked like a fun fun run!!!

I freak in open water - I would've opted for the raft myself ;)

Denise said...

Now that looks like a fun run!! Good for you jumping in and being a good sport!! Sometimes it's fun to be spontaneous!

Brandi said...

Oh that looked like so much fun! I would love to do something like that!! Looks like you had a great time!! Drinkers with a running problem! Hilarious!!!

Sarah said...

Your pics are great..looks like such fun! I always look forward to your deals. :)

Aron said...

lol love this! looks like so much fun :)

Niki said...

Haha sounds like an awesome run/swim!!

Alisa said...

That looks soooooo fun!

I've heard of these groups. They had one in Boston that would run like a mile to a pub then drink, then run another mile, by the end I think you end up running like 5 miles...man I would be drunkity drunk drunk! (I never did one of their runs but it does look fun.)

Mojito Maven said...

your pictures are always the best. i don't think i would ever want someone to take a pic of me running. i'd be a sweaty mess!

jlc said...

Now THAT sounds like a GOOD time!

You my friend know how to have fun... and run. ;)

The Laminator said...

Wow...never heard of run, SWIM, run before, but that does sound like a lot of fun...as long as the water is not freezing. Haha. Great job!

Cheetah Girl said...

My dad is what people would call a 'bubba'. We have a red jeep wrangler, and he definitely bought four bullet hole stickers to put on the side for everyone to see. I was privileged enough to drive the jeep to high school everyday back in the day! Haha! :)

amy (metz) walker said...

Wow, looks awesome and you're much braver than me on the swimming thing! I sink like a rock!

Oh, also, the post about your Mom about broke my heart! You're gorgeous...and you look a lot like her!

cody@codywestheimer.com said...

Definitely sounds like a blast! Can you eat one of those You Bars while swimming with a tube around your neck? ;)

FLYERS26 said...

Great run/swim and goggles!
All that and a beer too.. Awesome!

Anonymous said...

Your run looked like so much fun. I think it is always nice to switch things up. A good workout and fun is never a bad thing.

Marcy said...

Oooohhh you saw me on the road and didn't say hi? What's up with that?!?! :P

No Longer Using said...

WOW so much going on!!!!! there is always something else you find :) glad you got photo evidence, too! :) i have never tried youbars-- mostly b/c of the expense, tho i have explored their site. i think it would be a cool gift!

JenZen said...

OMG the hashers are always crazy. I used to run with them in Houston and it was always an "adventure". Looks like a fun night. Great shirt btw..:) (I have the same one and love it).

Thanks for the You Bar tip. I'll have to check them out.

nwgdc said...

Damn! I was going to write something about Marcy sporting th ebullet holes, but she beat me to it.
I need to find a Hash House around here! Looks like a blast

Girl in Carolina said...

Love the pics!! Hilarous!!

Sorry if you already mentioned this in a post, but did you see the Biggest Loser a week or so ago? The 4 finalists ran a marathon, and the 2 girls had your pink arm warmers on!! Love it!

Anonymous said...

that run looked so FUN!!!!! love your innertube thingy! :) those bars sound fun..sadly I am not allergic, vegan, or rich so I will probably never try one! kidding! haha

Unknown said...

The picture with the bullet truck is hilarious! -e

Unknown said...

Those are some super sweet pics, I love it!