Thursday, May 28, 2009

I have no deals today, but instead a rant on dentists.

So I have no deals. I have no deals because I didn't bother looking last night because I was so tired and full after a wonderful meal at my grandparents that I promptly fell halfway asleep while watching So You Think You Can Dance and forgot that it was even Thursday today.

Sorry to disappoint. Instead, in this wonderful week of losing my mind, I decided to give you, what I think is an entertaining rant on dentists and why I loathe them. You see, I was born without any wisdom teeth in my head, which one of my best friends once called me a freak for, and I like to think of it as a more evolved species, since you get them ripped out anyways. I also don't have a twelve year molar. Remember these facts, they will come into play later on.

Now, according to my 'How Well Do You Know Me" quiz via the lovely creeping site, Facebook, my most favorite feature of myself are my teeth. Believe me, teeth are super important to me, for whatever reason. I brush twice a day, if not more, whiten with crest white strips on occasion and did the whole braces for 6 months thing plus retainers for a year.

When I was little I LOVED the dentist. They always told me what a good job I was doing and that I had such nice teeth. Then you get a sweet prize out of the chest at the front of the office. There were fish in a tank to look at (think finding nemo and it kind of makes me sad now), everyone was very nice, and I got shiny clean teeth.

Then in college, I had a blood blister form behind one of my front teeth. It was incredibly painful and I had to have emergency dental work to pop the sucker. I went to a new dentist since it was about time that I stopped going to the children's dentist. I went on recommendation of a friend and LOVED the doctor I met with. He was so kind, complementary of my teeth and super gentle, which was nice because shoving a needle in that blister hurt pretty bad.

I decided to make an appointment to go back to the dentist for my cleaning. I got a different dentist in the office. This is where my hatred began.

She was rude, told me I wasn't brushing properly, that I had gingivitis and wasn't taking good care of my teeth at all. Um, I was shocked, to say the least. I hadn't changed anything about my brushing habits and I always get complements on my teeth. I never returned after that trip and that is where the disliking of dentists began.

Finally I found a new dentist close to my house that my mom really liked. I trusted her judgement and also fell for the koi pond outside the treatment rooms. He seemed nice, until he started pushing me. Remember how I didn't have the 12 year molars and wisdom teeth. Well this was the dentist who recommended that I needed to get an implant to make up for the extra space in the back of my mouth. An implant includes drilling a screw into your jawbone, and four months later getting a tooth that screws on top of that screw in your jaw after your jawbone has 'accepted' the screw.

I held out for a long time, but his persistence made me think that my whole entire mouth would fall apart if I didn't get the surgery he recommended. I finally scheduled the consultation and the doctors and staff members told me, oh it's not a big deal, you'll be back to normal life, normal eating in no time.

LIES I TELL YOU. I couldn't eat on that side of my mouth for a good two months. I was so sick after the surgery I couldn't eat for 3 days, and I was throwing up and couldn't go to work. Now that I have the tooth, a year later, I still feel like the process was worthless. Insurance didn't really cover much of it and I still think they should have just ripped out the top tooth and be done with it, since they were worried it would just 'keep growing downward' since it had nothing to 'hit' to stop its growing.

This leads me to recent occurrences. I went to the dentist back in February, and they insisted I needed x-rays. I told them that I didn't think it was necessary and I had just gotten them with the follow up of the implant surgery. Then the hygienist brought in the doctor to consult me on why I needed these x-rays. The last x-rays showed that the tooth was in place and the screw was good and everything was kosher in the implant department. He told me he needed to make sure. If he needed to make sure then he should pay for these $75 dollar x-rays and the pain of the 'bite wings' shoved into his mouth.

I repeatedly told him that I didn't need x-rays but they kept insisting. I almost, almost made a scene, but finally just rolled my eyes and gave in. Who gets the bill for $175 dentist appointment now? ME. Who would much rather save their money spend their money on shoes, food, running gear, and clothes? The best part of it all?

He and the hygienist tell me how great my teeth look and how great I am at flossing.

I haven't flossed a day in my life. Bad, I know, but funny how they complement me on my flossing.

This all was because the account payable called me this morning requested her $175 dollar check and gave me a sad "ahhh ohhhhh" when I said I didn't have dental insurance. I told her I didn't want the x-rays and she said "Yeaaaaaa wellllllll we hadddddddddd to take them." Where are those x-rays now? Sitting in the filing cabinet.

Dentist, our relationship is strained and I'm over you and your surgeries and your x-rays.

This morning I went for a slow 3 miler. I can't find Claude's charging station and I'm starting to freak out that I may have to use someone else's down in SD this weekend.

On another horribly sad note, My 1st gen. iPhone has lived a long wonderful life and now is very sick. You know how some of you have pets and kids. Well this is my 1st born. Of course, I think Apple put a spell on it because there are rumors that in two months a new iPhone will be released. Hang in there little buddy! I don't really get calls or texts, and when I do it's like 4-10 at a time. I can still call people though, but it won't hold a charge at all, so he's just resting on the charger all day long. I am hoping to keep him going for as long as possible because 2 months of me without a phone could cause some havoc.

Tomorrow is a new day. Tomorrow is one more day until San Diego, and also Foto Friday!

xoxo

38 comments:

JenZen said...

OMG - what a horrible, horrible experience!! I've had the same - really great dentists and really bad ones. Usually I just end up feeling frustrated after I go.

Was that your last run before SD??

Lindsay said...

wowowow. that is a terrible string of events! i hate the dentist too but because of all the vibrating and head-buzzing noises. unfortunately i was not blessed with as beautiful a smile as you! that screw-surgery sounds extra awful!!

don't waste too much energy thinking about these stupid dentists - get excited for sd!

Unknown said...

A lot of dentists really seem like scam artists.

Can't wait for San Diego for you!

Ronnie

Mrs. Realife said...

POOR THING!!!!!! You need some serious shopping/spa therapy after all that... I know I just said all that on Twitter. But it just means I'm really serious :)

The Dance Family said...

Ugh...I have a love/hate relationship with the dentist too.

I'm always paying huge bills to them...

And you can always use my charger! :)

X-Country2 said...

You need to break up with that dentist now, girl. :o)

On the plus side- SD IN TWO SLEEPS!!!

J.J. said...

That is bad. Sorry....Don't you love it how someone spends your $ for you? But your teeth do look fabulous in your pics :)

Sorry about your phone too...bummer :( What generation iphone are they on now?

Have a great run this weekend!

Nicole said...

OMG! How awful.

I dont have my 12 year old molars OR wisdom teeth. That screw surgery sounds horribile. I probably would have started balling and threw a tantrum if they made me do such a thing.

I had the same childhood dentist since i was 18 because of my braces that i had oh 3-4 years. AHH then i went to a new dentist. they always compliment me on flossing too-- and to be honest, i dont think i've ever done it! HA HA HA

Sorry about your horrible dentist story girl. I'll say a prayer for your sick iphone too. :)

Chocolate & Chants said...

Yikes...an implant? What on earth for? I'd just walk straight out of there and seek a second opinion elsewhere.

Hope your iPhone gets better soon.

{will run for margaritas} said...

Your dentist sounds terrible - I suggest a new one. ASAP.

... said...

Don't even get me started on my dentist experience. Serious.

No one wants to go there.

*sigh*

Let's just say, in order to WALK IN THE DOOR I need to be medicated. Seriously. :(

Sara said...

Danica, i've spent a TON of time in dentists' offices (8 baby/4 adult/4 wisdom teeth pulled, way too many cavities, braces for 3 years ...) and sadly i can relate. definitely try to find a dentist you like better--sounds like the one you saw didn't have good bedside manner. and get a second opinion! especially when there is surgery involved. my dentist told me i would have to get a root canal, went to see another dentist who said the same thing but she seemed really pushy so i went back to the first guy. (ended up i didn't need the root canal when he started working--PHEW.)

anyhow. (i love how my comment is almost as long as your blog post.)

GOOD LUCK THIS WEEKEND!!! you will have so much fun and do great out there. i will be thinking of you and sending you strong running energy sunday morning :)

Sheila said...

In my experience, some dentists (and actually any profession) just recommend stuff to "upsell" and earn money. It's hard to find a good dentist who isn't always telling you whats wrong with your teeth and what else you need to have done to them. When you find a dentist like that, stick with them. I have a good dentist, but he's in Fullerton which is a bit far for you.

NY Wolve said...

DO not let the experience scar you off going to the dentist. I am older, and after college, etc., I never went to the dentist. Everything was fine, all of the dental work from college, etc was doing great, no cavities, I brushed, flossed, etc.

One day I was reading something, and it was year end and I had to use my flex money like that day. So, I went to a dentist recommended by a friend. He was (and is) great. And he told me here are your issues, here is a plan, here is the upside of doing it, here are risks of not, and here are long term implications of doing nothing or doing everything. I then decided when, what etc. I now go in for cleanings 4x a year (paid for by insurance -- the best part of dental insurance).
I have generally very good teeth, brush/floss, and few cavities and issues (and I have all of my wisdom teeth -- never pulled out).
My dentist is great, and I know that my long term dental issues are 1000% better because of him. I cannot stress enough how relieved I am that my care is entrusted to a true professional.


I guess I am saying, it all depends on the dentist, and I hope you find one you like and trust.

Kelly said...

UGH! I HATE DENTISTS!!! I am so jealous that they told you that you floss well. I floss EVERY NIGHT and they always say, "are you flossing? you really need to floss more" WHAT?
grr!

Mojito Maven said...

WOW, you just put my dental surgery to shame!!!!

Anonymous said...

I hate the dentist too and never wanted to go. Now my dentist is my father in law :)

P.O.M. said...

I seriously hate going to the dentist now too. I think they jsut try to SELL you on things instead of taking care of your teeth like the good ol' days.

I'm so excited for you this weekend!! Take lots of pic! Just do your best, run your own race and enjoy it!!!!

Perfectly Imperfect said...

wow that sucks. i lost my front two teeth in car accident and damaged the two on the other side. it was hell to get them fixed! i had to have multiple root canals, multiple crowns, and it took them forever to get the 4 to match. not cool and so not inexpensive. and this stretched on for years. then they tried to blame it on the fact that i have "small roots" that it didn't work. uh nuh uh. you're a dentist, freakin' make it work!! you just brought all my hatred back to the surface!!

at least your teeth are still really pretty!

Marci said...

I love going to the dentist, but what a horror story you have! Good luck this weekend. I hope you really enjoy your first marathon and I look forward to reading all about it.

Susan said...

I hated my dentist at home! I was very cavity prone when I was little despite all my brushing and everything. I didn't want shots in my gums because, hello, what nine year old wants needles stuck in their mouth? He told my parents that I needed to get my act together. Obviously not a children's dentist.

Woo!

Marathon so soon!!

Anonymous said...

My 1st Gen iPhone did that... take it to the genius bar. It may just need a new battery or a reset or something. Those guys are awesome and will be able to help you out. 2 months without a phone would be total havoc. You can't have that.

Good luck this weekend you are going to do so well-- enjoy the ride. You only get your first marathon once.

jlc said...

Omg stop making me laugh though!! I know it's awful but you say "Lies I tell you" -- you kill me.


Good luck on the big run this weekend kiddo!


(yes I just called you kiddo.)


:)

Relentless Forward Commotion said...

the dentist that turned me against dentists is now in prison due to tax evasion and fraud. I am sooo not kidding! Now, I have a dentist I love, but no dental insurance. If it's not one thing, it's another, right?

Unknown said...

Biggest tip I can give you? Change dentists! There are really some great dentists out there who actually care about your oral health and not just about the moola! But maybe I'm just biased because I'm a dental assistant and my boss is amazing lol.

The dentist at our office has made it clear that it is all of our jobs to educate our patients and let them make the decisions for themselves. Ok ok I'll stop now. :) I just think it's important to really be with someone you trust. Don't give up!

Meredith said...

I have no 12 year molars or wisdom teeth and NO ONE has ever told me I needed to get an implant. In fact, it worked out perfectly because my adult teeth had plenty of room to come in and therefore I never needed braces.

Leila said...

Come to Bama! My dad will be your dentist - he's the best!

joyRuN said...

I'm on the outs with my dentist as well. He tried to convince me that I need that invisalign crap to straighten out my bottom teeth.

1 - I'm 34 years old. I'm NOT wearing braces.
2 - I'm married with 2 kids. Who am I gonna impress?
3 - You can't even SEE my bottom teeth when I smile.

GOOD LUCK THIS WEEKEND!!!!!!!!!!!!

RunToTheFinish said...

ohh i have had some bad mojo with the dentist for awhile. David always calls me a mouth of gold.

when I was little my dentist insisted on these sealants...well all he did was seal in bacteria and now guess who has all kinds of caps because she got cavities as a kid even though I brush like 3 times a day!

Jocelyn said...

Can't wait to see you in SD!

J said...

That is terrible about the dentist. Those ppl are really pushy out there in cali! Hopefully your luck will turn!

IzzyBubbles said...

I hate dentists, too, and pretty much am sure that I've never had a compliment on my teeth. I also hate orthodontists because I went through the whole braces/retainer ordeal and did everything I was told to do and my teeth STILL moved back and are crooked now. Ugh.

Glenn Jones said...

Another great post Danica!

And I think you're right on. People get fewer cavities these days, yet dentists don't seem to be hurting. It's all those extra services they "insist" on to keep our teeth healthy! Been to an orthodontist lately? Now braces are done in *two* stages - not just one (Oh yeah - forgot that you're a youngun').

Best of luck this weekend in SD! Looks like the marine layer is nice and thick. Last year the sun was out in full force by 8:30. Arrgh! Wish I could be there!

Ms. V. said...

I have several dentist stories. Sorry, kid. No More unnecessary stuff!!!

The Laminator said...

I understand your frustration and don't blame you for loathing your dentist. However, I feel as if it's a necessary evil sometimes. Sigh.

Best of luck in SD this weekend. Can't wait for your triumphant race report!

That Pink Girl said...

Good luck this weekend!!!

Lauren @ Team Giles said...

Dentists are evil. I so think that from my experience. EVIL!

and I agree about the iPhone, i have the first gen. iphone and these rumors are making my iphone panic... geez, not good. Not ready to upgrade. :\

Denise said...

are you ever coming back??