Friday, May 22, 2009

Foto Friday + Long Weekend = Happy!

So today is the obvious Foto Friday, and it's quite possibly my most favorite day of the week. Though I can't jump on the Kelly's Korner Blog's Dining Room day, since I don't really have a dining room, I did post a few pictures of it with the kitchen post, which you can check out here.

The wonderful Julianne also took this picture for me that I decided I MUST include for my foto Friday. It was at Bay to Breakers this past weekend and these boys are WEARING SNUGGIES! How awesome is that. I guess it was hotter than ever up there during the drunk fest race, so that makes it even more amazing. At least they had their hands free. Perhaps you missed the post where I got my snuggie...

This past weekend and this weekend I have a bunch of my friends graduating from college. Congrats to Roomie tomorrow and all the CUI grads last weekend. I actually met up with them for some drinks on Friday night to celebrate. Guess who else is back from playing volleyball in Europe! My best friend Lobster! I'm so glad she's home and I LOVE being able to call her and talk to her whenever I want. She is amazing and already got an amazing job, so I'm super excited for her. We all hung out at our favorite bar that we frequented every night on very rare occasions during our college years.


I don't know why, but this picture makes me laugh a lot.



So onto some hydration tips. First of all, I didn't realize (man I didn't realize a lot of things, huh!) How you can get dehydrated so quickly especially out running and what it does to your body. With the summer heat quickly approaching, it's super important to take in a lot of fluids. Also, alcohol and soda can dehydrate you even more. I used to only drink Gatorade or G2 or a power aide type drink, but I have come to realize that the sugars in those are not the best thing for you.


I have recently tried the product Nuun instead of just water, and I really liked it. I have yet to try out some other products but these are similar to an alka seltzer tablet that you drop in water and it dissolves and then you can drink it on your run. It's much different than a Gatorade or power aide type drink for me because after running 15 miles, I definitely don't want to drink something that sweet. I would much rather drink something refreshing like water or a drink that is filled with good sugars and electrolytes. I will be posting a complete review of the Nuun soon, but I really liked it and their flavors are awesome.


Make sure that you are drinking a lot on a long run. Also if you aren't with a fuel belt, then try to stop by a water fountain on your run. I am lucky enough that there are a ton of these around my house on the beach path. I usually try to take a swallow of water every mile and it makes it easier to remember to drink. I know that some people have a problem with getting cramps when drinking water but that I why I limit my water intake but I also make sure that I keep drinking water on my run.


Also, not only when you are running is drinking and being hydrated important but it can help you so much in your daily life, which also can help your running. I try to drink 4-6 bottles of water a day and one cup once I get home. It stinks to have to get up and go to the bathroom but at the same time, since I started doing that I have began to see a small difference in my skin and I really feel refreshed when I drink that much water. It sounds lame but it's true.


So now onto some more of my favorite running bloggers!

These first few have been my rock(s) during my training for the San Diego Marathon Aron, Tara, Alisa, Maritza, and Julianne. Though, I have to give all the credit to this Billy guy who convinced me to sign up in the first place. They have all been nothing but encouraging and are the greatest running friends to me. I am actually super excited to meet them all (well minus Billy, he's gotten me into some other interesting trail running and races, so I've met him before) down in San Diego next weekend.


As for some other great runners, Marlene is super inspiring and a great runner. Julie does triathlons and that is way more hardcore than I'll ever be. Girl on Top reminds me of myself sometimes :) JLC doesn't talk about running *that* much but when she does it's super fun to see her progress and I absolutely adore her blog, it's so fun and interesting. Angry Julie Monday is a blogger that is from the OC like me! She is very fun and one of these days I'm going to pace her in a half marathon (tell me when Julie!!!) Last, but not least is Candice and she is the cutest thing ever. She has another interesting blog and though it's not totally devoted to running it's a great read and when she does talk about running it's always inspiring.


Well this is my last weekend as a marathon virgin. I am excited about my last run tomorrow before the race and I am excited to run San Diego. It will be fun and something I know I'll never forget. Can't wait to say yea, I ran a marathon. 26.2 miles, pssssh. :) Hope everyone has a great weekend! Mines full of getting ready for my roommate's graduation, running, cleaning, and errands. Now the house we live in together is officially full of two BAs. Graduates with their BAs of course.


xoxo

PS! Don't worry! SAN DIEGO IS NEXT WEEKEND. Save all the good lucks for then because then I'll need it, but thanks for the good lucks for this weekend, cheers to that. :)

41 comments:

PunkRockRunner said...

You're going to do GREAT in San Diego. The marathon will feel like a victory lap because you've trained correctly.

All the best!

Ron

Anonymous said...

whoohoooo!!! One more week! Can't wait to finally meet you! You are going to kill SD :)

ps.Love the snuggies..it was SO hot out! I have no idea how they wore those thing!

Michelle said...

Good luck in San Diego!! I am rooting for you gorgeous lady!!!

WOO!!!

http://runningdowndreams.wordpress.com/

Alisa said...

You're going to rock SD!

I really want a snuggie...would be so cozy to be warm but at the same time hands free =).

Ian said...

You're going to do great in San Diego. All the best!

Erin said...

Wow, I can't believe your marathon is almost here! I can't wait to read all about it.

As for the Nuun stuff, I really wanted to try it. But then I found out it had a sugar substitute in it and that made me worried. I try to avoid sugar substitutes because they make my mouth and throat feel funny. Oh well. Guess I gotta stick with plain water or regular Gatorade.

maria khoury said...

you've gotta stay hy-ay-ay-ay-ay-ay-ay-ydrated (to the tune of gonna stay fly, of course!)

X-Country2 said...

I don't think there's a water fountain in the entire city of Omaha, so you are lucky ducky for having so many around your running route. Well, that and living the So Cal dream by the beach. :o)

Good luck next weekend!

Marlene said...

Awww, thanks for the shout-out!

26.2 miles...psssh! Too funny! I guess we're into the single digits now. WOOHOO!

Have a fun weekend.

Marathon Maritza said...

This post includes all all my favorite things! Pictures of snuggies, Danica, and a shout out!

Cannot WAIT to finally meet you in SD!

Anonymous said...

I'm psyched for you, am dying to try nuun, and I am also working on hydrating (hense many trips to the bathroom).

JenZen said...

It's getting so close! GOOD luck in San Diego!! It's such an amazing experience.

Amber said...

Good luck with your marathon this weekend! Can't wait to hear ALL about it!!

Julie {Angry Julie Monday} said...

Thanks for the shout out. Definately you will have to pace me. I had a total run fail yesterday. I was having a crappy day so I drank 3 cokes...omg, I totally felt it running last night.

Vicki T said...

Good luck at San Diego!!

Felice Devine said...

Enjoy your last weekend as a marathon virgin! :-) You're gonna do great!

Great pics.

Candice said...

Thanks so much for the shout out! That totally made my day...no kidding:) You are such a great blog friend.

I am so excited for you to run your marathon. I know you are going to kill it...and I can't wait to get the full exciting race report! Hope you have a great long weekend!

Aron said...

regarding the hydration... the only thing that has been on my mind about switching from gatorade to nuun is that i am used to those extra calories from gatorade (nuun has none)... so i either need to stick with the gatorade or up the gu-ing a little bit. just a thought :)

YAYYYY thanks for the shout out!!! CANNOT wait to meet!

Anonymous said...

I'm with aron on the Nuun, but it's really great on shorter runs.

You are going to do so awesome in SD. You'll have a blast!

She Wore What said...

That last picture is hilarious! So cute!

Check out my new blog! http://sheworeitiwantit.blogspot.com/

~Mrs. Guru~ said...

Even your jewelry is cute!!

Susan said...

I can't imagine running in a snuggie...especially in the heat!

One more week! Yay!

Diana said...

Thanks for the great tips from the last couple of posts-very helpful for this somewhat newbie runner!
Have a great weekend!

Meredith said...

Nuun doesn't have any calories and if you're running over an hou you need calories. If you're not going to use gel or gu you should really Gatorade or Powerade.

RunToTheFinish said...

can you believe San Diego is almost here?? It's crazy?! Are you going to meet up with us around 1PM at the Expo?

Love the snuggie photo, that is awesome!

J said...

Have a good weekend! Hydration really is so important with summer coming! I am going to have to start running in the mornings!

jlc said...

LOVEEEE that second photo!!

Aww and thanks for the fabulous shout out!!

Yeah I've been MIA in the running world thanks to my injury. Hope to get back to it soon with my 10 miler coming up shortly!

Blue-Eyed Bride said...

those boys in snuggies are hilarious.

you're going to do great in san diego!!!

Crazyisa said...

Good luck your marathon :)
How exciting :)

Billy said...

Dammit - I'm going to be in beautiful Yosemite that weekend...so why the hell am I jealous that you'll be running 26.2 miles that same weekend?

I'm glad my arm-twisting worked (as much as I would've liked to run it with ya) because this is going to be one big party around a beautiful city.

Have a great time with the Roho's and our CA RWOL peeps. And you're gonna do awesome Danica - just focus on finishing and having fun!

Joseph Miller said...

This is so cliche...you grew up in OC? You didn't happen to go to Harbor did you?! ;-) A good friend of mine did...she told me it's a small world over there, figured it would be funny if you a Nina Hinejosa

Kristin Miller said...

Ha ha ha this is Kristin...I've commented before...the "Bri" comment is from me! My husby was logged into his gmail and I didn't realize it!!!

Kim said...

I love the guys in the Snuggies. That is too funny. A perfect pic for you.

Enjoy this week. Don't get too nervous, you've done all your hard work, just sit back and take it easy. I'm soooo excited for you...just a week away!

Denise said...

You're going to rock the marathon!! So glad you're doing it!!

Kelly said...

I can't wait to hear how San Diego goes! Have a good restful week!

Natalie D said...

love the pics! one week till the big day - how exciting!

RunnerDude said...

Never heard of Nuun. hanks for telling us about it. Definitely gonna check it out!

Middalia Wayman said...

Good luck in San Diego, you are going to rock! Pic of snuggies..hilarious

Tara Gibson said...

your gonna rock in san diego! love the pics! i so want a snuggie!

Leila said...

such cute photos - love the one of you by yourself! you crack me up. and yes, you are going to ROCK in san diego! hope you are loving your new laptop. xox

Amanda said...

Hi I just ran across your blog & so glad I did! I don't know if you can help me or maybe give me some advise I would love to start running but I am about 30lbs over weight and I just can't I go to the gym and basically can't run for even 1min but without breathing so hard it hurts! I've never been over weight before so it's killing me....Thanks!

Girl in NEED of some help!