Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Ice baths and Training Plans and New Playlist ideas... oh my!

Many people have asked me how I figured out my first training plan for my half back in October, and even how to start running. I know many people who have had a lot of success with the Couch to 5k plan for beginners, you can find the plans here, here, or here. I really believe that one of the most important aspects of starting out running is to take everything slowly. If you start running and feel great and think that it's time to ditch the plan, don't. Give the plan a chance, and though sometimes it may seem easy, it just means you are improving! Give yourself a chance, and allow yourself the opportunity to succeed.

Whenever signing up for a race, remember, every distance is an automatic pr or personal record. ENJOY your training! Realize what you are doing and how great it is, no matter the distance or time run. When I started, I didn't think I could actually run 13 miles. The most I usually was running at the time was only 3 miles. Imagine my surprise when I was getting into the longer distances. You have to not be scared of the distance and improving either. Once I signed up, the race motivated me to get out there and complete my training runs, whether they were for 2 miles or 10 miles.
It sounds funny, but remember to breath and just go at your own pace. You are doing it for yourself and if that means 20 minute miles or 6 minute miles, focus on yourself. If you have to stop and catch your breath, do it! Don't think that because you have to go 'run' a mile, means you have to run the whole time, do things in your own comfort level. If you are tired, slow down, I do it. It's not a big deal. Sometimes I feel fast and can run 8 minute miles, sometimes I feel bad and I run 15 minute miles and walk and look around, it's YOUR thing, no one elses.

Each mile you have to take one at a time, usually my first mile is much slower than the rest of the workout, but each mile is different. You have to be able to listen to your body and also don't stop and don't give up. For me, especially on the longer runs, I ALWAYS break my run into smaller runs. When I first started, I looked at every distance as a mile. If I ran 2 miles, I thought to myself, one mile out and then one mile back home, then I'm done. Then each distance grew and I made them into 5ks and then 10ks. I knew I could run a 5k, I told myself it was only 1.5 mile out and 1.5 mile back. Even in the longer distances, I always count backwards. If I'm feeling bad, I just think okay, just keep running to that sign, okay now to the next sign, now to that building. You realize you can keep going. I cannot say it enough, but Believe that you can do it.
As for some other training plans, for my first half, I followed a training plan loosely based on this article from Runners World, there are a lot of great resources on that website for training, workouts and everything, but remember, the most important thing is to do it for yourself, and to listen to your body.

Now onto my most hated, the ice bath. I personally dislike being cold and the ice bath is NOT my favorite thing to do, but I do have to admit, it does help me a lot. Each person is different though. I only do ice baths after a long run, which to me, now is anything over 10 miles, just because I know it will help me feel better. I usually fill my tub and then sit in it for 10 minutes. While I'm in the ice bath, I make sure that I move my ankles a lot. Up and down, back and forth in circles, and I make sure I move my toes a lot too. Those parts of my feet get really sore, and it feels so good to move them around and I feel like it makes them much less sore the next day.


Here are some sweet links to check out about ice baths: Ice Bath Therapy, How To Ice Bath, another bloggers ice bath, Post Run Ice Baths, A HOW TO VIDEO. First off the video is HILARIOUS, but the related videos, be aware don't know what those are about, so be aware. I usually sit in there in my swimsuit bottoms and have my phone to distract me or listen to music. The first few minutes are pretty bad, no joke, but then you kind of 'get used to it' and you can handle it. Plus, reminding yourself how far you just ran and that you can TOTALLY do this, helps too :)

Now, some new jams you ask for?

Well, let me tell you, there are some great running jams out there right now. Also my friend Bama Belle helped me find some sweet jams too!
Faded by Cascada
Turn my Swag On by Soulja Boy (has a good beat)
Welcome to the World by Kevin Rudolf (another great super upbeat song)
Knock you Down by Keri Hilson (LOVE this song always gets me moving best line is "I'm the new slick rick", for some reason I love that line, and they say, "It feels like I'm running a race, but I've already won first place! Yes! Running references!)
Waking up in Vegas by Katy Perry (first time I heard this song I didn't like it, but now I love it!)
Lovegame by Lady GaGa (kind of a crazy song but I still like it)
Goodbye by Kristinia Debarge (Love the beat!)
I'm the Ish (Remix) by DJ Class (totally have to give props to Tara for this one! :) )
A Punk by Vampire Weekend (it makes my head bob around)
We Run LA by Ya Boy (How can you NOT Run to this song?!)
Beggin by Madcon (like the song, once it speeds up)


AND MY NEW FAVORITE SONG RIGHT NOW:
Do what you do by Marz ft. Pack and Mumiez


I am obsessed with this song. It's perfect for running because it has a beat in the back that makes you keep going and it's HILARIOUS because it's the song from the Kia Hamster commercial that me and my roommate are obsessed with. If you are listening to it on your run just think of the cute little hamsters bobbing their heads and you will seriously laugh out loud to yourself. I don't even like hamsters and I think it's cute. Check out the Commerical here. Our favorite part is the hamster in the backseat who just taps his fingers, and I love when they smile at the camera out the window. You smart people at Kia! Soon you'll be thinking: Front, back, side to side, Front, Front, back, back, side to side.


and normal not running person side note: though not the best running song, I do love the Fray's cover of Heartless, if you haven't heard it yet, find it on youtube, it's great!


Here are some more sweet running blogs to check out JoyRun, who is super cute and I love her site, Nitmos is super smart and has a lot of insight, Vanilla crosses the line in so many ways possible and is hilarious, but sometimes his jokes go over my head, ha ha, and the Running Laminator who is great in real world experiences, he's fast and an inspiration to me as well!


Tomorrow we'll tackle some topics like chafing and GUS ha ha ha, yes!


xoxo


PS Watched the Bachelorette last night. (obviously) WOW, not so impressed with that many guys on the show... but seriously, there are more tool sheds on that show that found in an ace hardware, and I'm sad that my hometown the LBC was badly represented. :( Fail ABC. I did notice there were a TON of guys from So. Cal and Texas? hmmm, a bunch of single desperate men in these parts? Weird. Still, I'm obsessed with Jillian and can't wait till next week. Dancing with the Stars fans, get over Melissa, if she wins I will be sourly disappointed. She's a cheerleader. She dances like a cheerleader. Her finale dance was sadly awful and I expected much more from her. What am I, a tv critic? Rant over.

49 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the new songs!! I'm always listening for new songs to run to! And I love the hamster commercial!

Anonymous said...

You are so right- I never thought a year ago that I would run a half-but this past Sunday I did!! I started out slow and built up just like you suggest and it worked!!

ps- Sunday was also my first ice bath; ice baths are no joke- HOLY COLDNESS!

Perfectly Imperfect said...

already stated. hated melissa.

new song by michael franti and spearhead "say hey (i love you)" simply rocks. i just added it to my ipod

Lucky in Love said...

This is such a wonderful post! As a new runner, you truly keep me inspired while I am running and help me to know that I can keep going.

I found some great ideas for stretching from your links which I have been looking for!

I think it's hard not to compare yourself to others who are running, but it is essential to do your own thing and find what works for you. Thank for pointing that out.

Lisa said...

Love your advice on training. I'm about to embark on a HM training plan and the most I have run is 4 miles. Intimidating at times but deep down I know I can do it. I'm bookmarking this post to re-read when I need encouragement. Thanks for a great post!

Ian said...

Thanks for the link. I don't do Ice Baths, I do hot tubs. Not as good for you but it feels much better.

Jeri said...

Thanks for the new songs. I downloaded a bunch during your last list of recommendations and am in sore need of some new ones!! :)

Mel -Tall Mom on the Run said...

Thanks for the song ideas my power song right now is "Untouched" by the Vernioca's but my Ipod needs some serious updating..

Mel

Tyly said...

I love this. You are so inspiring!

Unknown said...

Such a cool post! Thanks for all the insight and uplifting because I do have to stop sometimes and I am that 12 miniute mile girl:)awesome songs too!

Rikki said...

Thanks for the awesome songs! I've already downloaded them all! My running playlist was in desperate need of a makeover!! Thank You!!

Anonymous said...

The ice bath is such a necessary evil-- emphasis on the evil!! I'm going to have to do some serious itunes shopping now... my running playlist is getting a little stale!

Unknown said...

Ok let me just say you totally rock and I have lost my MOJO for running. I need to get it back... REALLY!

Girl Meets Beau said...

Downloading all of your song choices tonight!! Can't wait! I love your tips. Not sure I could ever do an ice bath, but I'm also not sure I will ever run 10 miles!

Quick question - do you ever have knee problems?? Since the Shred video/elliptical combo my knees have been super soar. Every morning they hurt and it doesn't let up throughout the day. Just wondering if you had any good remedies for it. I think I'll switch it up and go for a run outside tonight :) You would be so proud!! HA

Adventures in Newlywed said...

Thanks for the playlist suggestions, I was wondering what song was in that hamster commercial :)

I totally agree, Melissa should not win Dancing with the Stars - personally I'm rooting for Gilles, but Shawn is great too...

X-Country2 said...

I've recently discovered the beloved ice bath. I couldn't do it in the winter, but now that it's hot and humid around here, I loooove it. Thanks for the links!

Brooke said...

I've been hearing several of those songs lately, wondering what they were called and who they were by... Thank you! I'm stoked, now they're on my iPod! WOO WOO!

KBroome said...

You have answered all of my questions! Thank you so much!

Alisa said...

I dont't like being cold either but the ice bath so helps!

I heart your running playlist suggestions. Thanks!

littlesack said...

thanks for the link to the playlist post and thanks for all the new songs! I am slowly buying them from itunes =)

I totally agree about breaking runs into small distances. On long stretches of road where I can see for forever, i pick a post about a 100 yards out and run to it, then pick something else out, etc. works great!

Nitmos said...

I don't often comment but feel compelled now, of course, due to your friendly link. Thanks! My personal opinion is that you should have been a bit more hurtful when describing Vanilla. ;)

Janice {Run Far} said...

I totally want melissa to win.... I know she is not the best dancer left, but.... the guy gilles, although he is very hot and has a nice body and yes a good dancer, I can't not get myself to vote for someone who got famous because of showing is penius in a movie... yuck... now shawn... I could handle seeing her win, she is so cute.

Becky said...

I think Melissa will win DWTS because I think the whole thing is RIGGED! She was probably about to SUE the network for what they did to her, and they offered her this to keep her from going after them! "Hey, so what if you got dumped by that loser on national TV - we can give you a chance as SUPERSTARDOM on our most popular show!"

Unknown said...

Those first few moment of the ice bath are really rough. But it helps my legs after long, hard runs sooooooooo much.

RunToTheFinish said...

i finally switched to an epsom salt bath because I just can't do the ice baths during winter training. I may try them again over the summer, but the salts work well for me!

the bachelorrette isn't a show I can get in to..something about the whole thing just creeps me out

Denise said...

I remember how great it felt hitting the longer distances while training for the marathon. It's such a great feeling. I never thought I'd be one of those people, but turns out I am.

And I'm starting to like the ice bath, too!

The Laminator said...

Thanks for the Shout-out! I'm honored to be named as a resource although I think you're a bit more of an inspiration than I.

All your advice about breaking down the long runs to small manageable chunks is so right and important to keep in mind.

Keep up the awesome running and inspiring! I love hearing about your running adventures!

ShutUpandRun said...

Thanks for all the song ideas. I am SO sick of everything on my iPod I am losing it.

Marlene said...

That's some great advice. I wish I had read this when I was 'learning' to run.

jlc said...

Thanks for posting these! I really could use them!!

The Boring Runner said...

Coming out of my lurker hole to comment. I LOVE the hampsters comerecial / song. Front..back..side to side... front front....

:)

Gosh, I can't believe that I commented on hampsters driving a car of all things. This youtube may just end up on my blog!!

Ms. V. said...

dang. i am old. i know none of those songs.

Heather C said...

I have yet to enter the world of ice-bathing, but definitely know I need to start at SOME point. ha, thanks for the links!!! AND the NEW songs - oh, man. I heart music so so much!

Billy said...

@ Ms. V - haha...I was about to post the EXACT same thing! Man, when did I get so out of touch?

~Mrs. Guru~ said...

Thanks for all the great tips!

Katie said...

I just wanted to let you know that i love your blog for stories, tips and advice. Thanks so much!

Girl in Carolina said...

Your running advice always inspires me SO much!!

ps I haven't watched yet, but a friend of mine knows Brian, one of the bachelors. This should be an intriguing season for sure.

Hugs!!!

Sarah said...

I migh try the ice bath, my feet have been killing me espeically my achelies tendon

J said...

I love how some of the best running songs have come from commercials. Like the songs in the ipod commercials...there is just something about them and the beat. They are supposed to get peoples attention so i guess it worked!

cody@codywestheimer.com said...

Yay for ice bath! Ocean's too warm now to do the trick... :(

joyRuN said...

Big ol' thanks for the linky lurve, girl!!

Oz Runner said...

great post! i can relate and agree with all your running tips...love your blog....

i watched just the end of the bachelorette the other night, there are 2 from my neck of the woods on there, wanted to see if they made it through (they did)...

maria khoury said...

i will have to check out your song reccomendations. i love in 'day n nite' when he goes.."i try to run but im not that fast. im thinkin first but surely finish last"

Marathon Maritza said...

Thanks for the jams!!! I am previewing We Run LA (running AND an LA reference?? golden!) right now and I love it! Totally downloading it!

Aron said...

you are awesome :) its so fun to watch runners progress, and i cannot wait to be there for your first marathon!!!!! eeeee 10 days!

OhMyLaughter said...

I LOVE THIS BLOG.

I know I don't comment that often, but I really like following such a "hardcore" runner and appreciate all of your tips.

One more song that gets me moving when I run "I'm on a Boat" The Lonely Island feat. T-Pain. HILARIOUS. It's sadly kind of short. But great for a burst of energy.

Runwithme said...

Check out the song, "Race You" by Elizabeth and the Catapult. My son is opening for this awesome group next month in DC! (I'm pondering whether to run the MTC marathon in October, but I live in Miss.)

Anonymous said...

Good day !.
You re, I guess , probably very interested to know how one can reach 2000 per day of income .
There is no initial capital needed You may start to receive yields with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you need
AimTrust incorporates an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

It is based in Panama with affiliates around the world.
Do you want to become a happy investor?
That`s your choice That`s what you wish in the long run!

I`m happy and lucky, I began to get real money with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. It`s all about how to select a correct companion utilizes your savings in a right way - that`s it!.
I make 2G daily, and my first investment was 500 dollars only!
It`s easy to get involved , just click this link http://fedyxizyn.arcadepages.com/dilihih.html
and lucky you`re! Let`s take our chance together to get rid of nastiness of the life

Ida F. Breton said...

it have a very good ingredient for fat burning and it's a VERY GOOD product for WEIGHT LOSS
http://bit.do/Pure-Fit-Keto