Friday, May 29, 2009

7376


Inappropriate but hilarious. So as many of you know, this weekend I am running the San Diego Rock and Roll Marathon. It's going to be a blast for all the events that lead up to it, including the blogger meet up, the girls I'm staying with, I just know it will be so fun and exciting. I'm already glad that I chose a "big" marathon for my first, so I'll always have people to run with and stalk.

I'm starting in corral 7, and my race number is 7376. I feel like it's a good number. There's a lot of lucky number 7's in there. Well my lucky number is 6, but 7 is the ultimate lucky number, so therefore that is what I've made myself believe.

My biggest goal for this race is to finish. I know everyone says that that really isn't a 'goal' because obviously I am going to finish the race, but at the same time, a lot of crazy things can happen over 26.2 miles. I also don't want to focus so much on my pace, time, and all the aspects that I didn't really work on that much during my training to not soak in my first marathon experience.

Every 'race' I've ever ran, I've always raced them. I think I learned that in high school when I ran competitively and was much faster than I am now. Even if I tell myself I'm not going too, I find my heart beating and my body tense at the starting line and I always give it my all. For this race though, I have to keep telling myself, it's not a race, it's a marathon. They don't call it a race for a reason. I know if I race the marathon I will be upset with myself and I'll miss a lot of the fun 'firsts', plus, I can always run more if I decide too.

I've decided to break down my goals with A, B and C goals, but first and foremost it is to finish, enjoy the race and soak up everything going around me, and what an accomplishment even running a marathon is.

My A Goal is to finish in between 4-4:30. This would be a decent pace for me, and I think it's possible if everything is going right for me. This includes no crying, no crazy bathroom breaks, no walking, not really any stopping at all. I can run 20 miles in 3:15, so we'll see how things go race day.

My B Goal is to finish in between 4:30-5:00. This is more than attainable for me, pending anything absurd happening to me, but I guess you can't rule out everything going perfectly

My C goal is to finish in between 5-5:30. This again shouldn't be a problem, but pending I break my leg or get trampled we could have some issues.

These goals are all easily within my reach, but I know I will have to pay attention to my body and listen to what is happening on those last miles. I definitely know I will have the mentality of, well I ran 20 miles, what's 6 more?! I also wanted to give myself goals that I know I can achieve because I would be really upset if I didn't make my goals.

So what's more important than goals? Outfits of course. So I didn't know what was wrong with me because usually I can spend money like it's my full time job, but I just couldn't find the perfect racing top for this race.

I narrowed it down to two shirts, and will make a game time decision as to what one I will wear.

No matter what I will be wearing my Nike Spandex Shorts and my Zensah pink sports bra but I cannot decide in between the purple top or the Nike blue top. I know the purple top is new but don't worry, I wore it around under a shirt for a day to see if I would chafe and I didn't. I'm a freak I know. I like the blue shirt a lot too. So many decision. I know it will depend on how I feel that morning and what I want to run in. You may actually recognize the shorts and tank though, they are the same ones I wrote when I shot some sweet pictures with Kymberli


So it's this weekend. On Monday, I will be able to say for the rest of my life, yes, I have run a marathon. Have run? That sounds pretty crazy. I am excited, nervous and I'm pretty sure I might cry tonight while packing my bag for San Diego tomorrow.

Perhaps I might post something tomorrow evening, before I go to bed, depending on what I am feeling, but I'm so thankful for all the encouragement, support and kind words over this whole training period. It's weird because after this race, I have this weird feeling that I don't even know what I'll blog about. Well I'm sure I can always find something somewhat random and interesting in my life to entertain you with, but it's just like it's all accumulated to these upcoming moments. I am so overwhelmed by so many crazy feelings but it's a huge adrenaline rush! I can't wait to write up a super long race report. I think I might have to do it in segments over the next week because I know I'll take a billion pictures and then we have 26.2 miles of coverage. I'll try to leave out any poopy details. :)

Have a great weekend, and I'll see you at the finish line!

xoxo

54 comments:

Jen Feeny said...

I absolutely can not wait to read the race report! You are going to rock it girl!

Kristin @ The Southern Summer said...

Good luck lady, soak it all in! I definitely cried at the finish line of my first...I was so freaking proud of myself! (and of course relieved it was over)

SD is a fantastic place to run your first (much better than rural NC, I dont know what I was thinking) so enjoy it!

J said...

Good luck! I can't wait to hear how it goes.

Lucky in Love said...

Good luck honey! I know you'll do a fabulous job and I positively can't wait to hear about it!!

Sending good running vibes your way!

Marlene said...

Go Chic Runner! See you on the other side. :)

Michelle said...

Good luck and congratulations! You are gonna do awesome tomorrow!!!

cozystyle.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

I'm trying to psych myself up for running in my first marathon in Miami in January - my goal would be C and not to embarrass myself.

Girl Meets Beau said...

You are awesome! I am SO excited for you!! You have no idea :) I can't wait to hear all about it!!! You are going to be amazing! What an accomplishment!!!

Leslie said...

GOOD LUCK! You will do awesome! You with your full and me with my half, its a big weekend for the running bloggers out there in the world!

d.a.r. said...

You are adorable!!! I vote for the blue, it is so pretty on you. I can't wait to read the race report, you are going to ROCK!

Good luck!

Eric said...

good luck and remeber the 1st one is unforgetable

Amy said...

Good luck! And ENJOY it! There's only one first!

Anisha said...

Oh my gosh, I'm so excited and nervous for you I feel like I'm running this weekend. Good luck! You'll be awesome!

maria khoury said...

i am so excited for you! good luck good luck good luck. but more importantly - enjoy it! you will have a blast.

Felice Devine said...

Yes, that card is HILARIOUS! Ha!

GOOD LUCK!!! Have a terrific time and really try to enjoy it. This will always be your first marathon. Have fun!

J said...

Good luck!! Enjoy your first marathon. I like your three goals (I tend to do that too), I think with those, you will end up very satisfied at the end.

Oh, I like the blue shirt, so I can't wait to see what you pick!

HAVE FUN!

Amber said...

I'm so excited for you! You have been such an inspiration for me :-)

Good luck! I can't wait to hear ALL about it!!!

Sheila said...

Hilarious eecard. I haven't finished reading your whole post but I just wanted to say I disagree that you can't stop at all to achieve a 4 hr marathon. I ran a 3:51 marathon at L.A. and took a walk break at every water table starting at mile 1. That was my 3rd marathon and my PR and I got the PR by slowing myself down in the first half (I have a problem with going out too fast) by walking the water tables. And for an old lady like me, that qualified me for Boston. And I just did Boston in 4 hrs and took plenty of walk breaks. A friend from my running club just ran a 3:40 at L.A. last weekend and she stopped at our support tent at mile 15 and had food, massage and drink. I have no idea what other stops if any she had, but she did stop. Don't tell yourself you can't stop. That isn't true. Sometimes taking a break or a stop is the BEST thing you can do for yourself in order to finish the race strong.

Pink Pearls & Muddy Sneakers said...

You are going to be amazing! Wooooo!

Lis said...

Good luck!!! I'm sure you will do great!!

I love the purple top!! :) I personally think purple is good luck - I thank my Mom and grandma for that craziness!! :)

I can't wait to hear all about it!

kilax said...

I am so excited for you! I can't wait to hear all about it!

Melissa @ I Pick Pretty said...

Wishing you a fantastic, poop-free (well, the bad type of poop, at least) weekend & successful race! Very excited for you. I'm even more excited that I'm not the one doing the running.

And look at you in that foxy photo! Sorry to sound like a lech here, but only you can make running attire look that cute.

Kim said...

6 is my favorite number too-but 7 will do you well, I know.

GOOD LUCK! You're going to have so much fun. I'm so excited for you. There's nothing like your first marathon.

What will you write about next? Your next race of course! You're going to become hooked, I feel it!

Brandi said...

Good luck and you are going to do great! Can't wait to hear all about your experience!!! I cried all throughout my first back in March, just knowing what I was doing and going to accomplish. It's definitely a whirlwind of emotions!

Newlywed Next Door said...

SO exciting! Have a great time and I know you will do well!

The Rock and Roll SD Marathon is a fun one. My Dad (who is a marathoner) and I worked at that race when I was in High School passing out water to exhausted runners at the 21 mile mark!

Can't wait to see pics!

Hugs!

Janice {Run Far} said...

good luck. I will be thinking of you while I am running tomorrow. No matter which top you wear, you are still a hottie. can't wait to hear the race report.

Jamie said...

Good luck!!! You'll do great!!!

Amy said...

Good luck!! Random question because I can't find where I wrote it down but you posted a thing about taking a vitamin for hair growth...

Kristin Miller said...

The last mile will be the best... The most i've done is a half but I got so emotional! You've earned it be PROUD!!!

Anniversary Moments said...

I am volunteering at the finish line -- can't wait to see you cross it!! The person at the starting line is never the same person crossing the finish line - I cannot wait to see what is in store for you from here on out!!

The Shabby Princess said...

Good luck! I'll be thinking of you--I know you'll do awesome!

J.J. said...

That is so damn funny!!!!!!!

Will be thinking of you...I know you will do awesome!!!! How cool are you..you are going to run a marathon!

Looking forward to the race report.

Jess said...

Good luck I know you will do awesome and have such a fun time!

Nicole said...

I'm SOO excited for you! Your going to do SO awesome. I can't wait to hear all about the race and all the fun you girls have! :)

I love both tops- either choice will be very cute! :) You should teach me your deal searching techniques b/c i fail at finding web sales! ha ha ha

GOOD LUCK, HAVE FUN & we will see YOU at the finish line! :)

::Good luck hugs from MI::

Middalia Wayman said...

Good luck and have fun!! I am so excited for you, I can't wait to hear how it goes.

Unknown said...

Good luck on your first marathon!

I'd go with the classic blue top. That way you could go with a crazier and crazier shirt for each marathon!

Ronnie

Marci said...

I can't wait to read all about it. I think you will do amazing, and I love both race outfit choices! You will look Chic and be supah fasst!!

Wearing Mascara said...

The ending of your post gave me chills :-) About the "see you at the finish line". I am SO proud of you and you are such an inspiration to the blog world. Good luck... keep running... keep looking ahead...

I can't wait to read the FAB race report!

xoxo,

Julie

Counting down said...

Good luck, you're gonna be great!

kristen said...

Shame on those who told you finishing isn't a goal. It should be the only goal for your first.

Your going to do so great. It sounds like you have the perfect attitude. Have fun!!

Can't wait for the reprt and pics.

Lily on the Road said...

Have a GREAT time!!

OhMyLaughter said...

GET IT Girl!! I am so in awe of marathoners :)

Girl in Carolina said...

SO proud of you!!! You will ROCK it!! :) Can't wait to hear the after report!

Lauren @ Team Giles said...

I'm super excited for you! you're going to rock it!!!! :)

She Wore What said...

Good Luck! You look gorgeous in that picture! So very Sophia Bush!

I know what you mean about the price tag! It's a bit much, but I sometimes prefer to spend a little more on a nice dress than to only be able to wash it once! THanks for stopping by love!

J said...

Hope you got your outfit picked out!! Good luck!

Ross said...

Best wishes to you tomorrow running your first marathon.

I was very touched by the comment you left about Kelly. I know your Mom and Kelly will be cheering for you tomorrow.

Enjoy your day tomorrow. Can't wait to hear all about it :)

kymberli q. said...

"but pending I break my leg or get trampled we could have some issues." LMAO!!!!!!! I'm soooo proud of you and you are going to do fabulous!! I can't wait to hear all about it!!

Blue-Eyed Bride said...

good luck today!!! i'm so excited and proud for you!!!

Abbie said...

I thought of you this morning when they were talking about the marathon on The Weather Channel. I know you're kicking butt as I type this!

Anonymous said...

YOU DID IT!! (Yes, I'm stalking your bib number). YAY "A" GOAL!!

Mrs. Hibit said...

As any good blog lurker would do, I totally looked for you this morning. We definitely crossed paths at some point, according to rnrmarathon.com! (I was #13298.) From one first marathoner to another - way to go! What a day.

Lia said...

First time commenter: Good luck to you! I'm a runner to, so I'll be looking forward on how well you do.

Marcy said...

B I stalked your crazy butt and you kicked some butt! CONGRATS CHICA!! ;D ;D